Chapter 5

When we arrive upstairs Halstead quickly takes Melanie from me and takes her to the interrogation room. Voight comes out of his office and says, "Good work girls. Ruzek and Evelyn, come with me."

We both get up from our desks and follow Voight. When we're outside of the interrogation room he says, "You two will go in alone and interview her. Since she's already admitted to the kidnapping all you'll have to do is find out where they are, what she might have done to them, and why she kidnapped them, alright?"

We nod and he lets us into the room. We take a seat across from her and Ruzek says, "If you answer all of our questions when we ask them the courts will take that into account. Just keep that in mind."

She nods so I say, "What did you do with the four of them after you kidnapped them?"

"I took them to my house and shot them all with my handgun, execution style. I killed the kids first, then his new wife, and finally my ex himself."

Ruzek can tell that what I've just heard is disturbing to me so he says, "Why did you do this?"

She clenches her jaw and then says, "He promised to love me for the rest of his life. I looked after his every need but then one day he told me that he had filed for divorce. I was so mad and I told him that if he finalized it I would find him and kill him. He went ahead with it anyway so I waited until he had another family as I knew that it would hurt him more then. The look in his eyes as I killed the kids and his wife right in front of him made it all worth it."

I suppress my tears with a shaky breath. This is absolutely sickening. I don't know how someone could ever do this. Melanie lets out a frustrated breath with how long we're taking to ask the next question so I say, "Where'd you take the bodies?"

"I dumped them on the other side of the river in some bushes."

I nod and then Ruzek and I leave the room. Voight pats us both on the back and then Burgess and Roman arrive to take her to jail. Voight tells us all to suit up and then we head out to recover the bodies.

------------------------------------------

Thank you all for 1 000 reads! I totally didn't expect to see that this morning when I went to update so thank you so much! I hope you all have a fantastic day and weekend! -Becca