Chapter 3

Erin and I walk up the front steps of a small brown townhouse with a weathered front. She knocks on the door and a man soon arrives. I show him my badge and say, "Cody Markham?"

He nods and says, "Please come in."

We follow him to his small living room and then Erin says, "Your kids and their Mom and Stepdad went missing this morning. Do you know where they might be?"

Once what she's just told him sinks in he says, "I have no idea. If you think I have something to do with it, I can assure you that I don't."

I sigh and say, "I want to believe you sir but at this point I don't."

He sinks back into the chair he's seated in and says, "It's true that I don't like their stepdad very much. I don't think that he's responsible enough to care for my kids but with that said I'd never do anything to harm him. If he's willing to look after my kids that's enough for me."

I nod and then Erin says, "What about your ex-wife and kids?"

"I may not like my ex all that much as she doesn't let me see the kids very often but I do get to have them once a week every two months. Although I'd like more time with them I'd rather ask her for it than kidnapping her over the matter."
He takes a sip of his water and says, "As for my kids, I'd never feel the need to kidnap them to spend more time with them."

Erin and I nod and she says, "You almost have me convinced. Do you have an alibi for seven thirty this morning?"

He nods and grabs a receipt from a gas station. The alibi checks out so we thank him for his time and go back to the district. Unfortunately we're right back at square one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you guys for 429 reads! I hope you all have a great weekend! -Becca