Chapter 16

I'm sitting at my desk trying to get the paperwork that I filed after arresting this guy from my desk sergeant back at the 26th district when Mouse says, "Guys, I found something."

We all turn our attention to him so he says, "This guy, Jacob Warner, got out of prison three months ago. I couldn't find an address for him but his last listed address is his Mom's house."

We all nod and then Voight says, "Erin and Evelyn, go hit his Mom's place."

Erin and I nod and go suit up. We then hop in the car and she begins to drive to the address Mouse gave us.

In no time at all we've arrived at the house. We both walk up to the door and Erin knocks three times. We wait for a couple of seconds and then a middle-age lady answers the door. Erin smiles at her and says, "Are you Johanna Warner?"

She nods warily and then says, "Yes...what can I do for you officers?"

I clear my throat and say, "We're here to ask you about your son Jacob. Is he currently living with you?"

Johanna sighs, gets a disgusted look on her face, and says, "Not anymore. He lived with me before he got arrested but I haven't talked to him since then. I raised my children to know right from wrong but Jacob forgot that. He knows not to speak to me anymore."

Erin and I both nod and then she says, "Understood. Thank you Johanna."

She nods and then Erin and I go back to the car and drive to the district. When we arrive upstairs I relay the news to the team and everyone sighs.

Cases that hit close to home are always harder but when we end up back at square one, it makes everything just that much harder. Despite all that, we must keep fighting through to solve all of the cases. It's all just part of the job we do.

I shake those thoughts from my head as I take a seat at my desk and see what else I can find on Jacob.

---------------------------------

Hey guys! Thanks for 9 360 reads! I go back to school tomorrow so I'll be pretty busy with all of that, but I'll do my best to make sure that it's not too long. Have a great rest of your week! -Becca