five

5

JASON

I woke up with Sage’s body tangled around me. I could hear the surround sound from the living room playing as I closed my eyes and opened them again trying to wake myself up. I looked at the clock and it was ten-thirty in the morning. We missed two class periods of the day so far and I knew Sage was going to freak when she woke up. I shook her body softly as she clung to my side. I didn’t want to wake her up but I had to…even though I thought of a different (and more sexier) way to wake her up I decided to refrain from it because I knew that Miles and Kaden would have their ear pressed to the door the whole time. “Sage baby.” I said softly, shaking her again.

“Leave me alone.” She mumbled sleepily.

“Baby come on, get up. We’re late.”

Her eyes popped open and she looked at the clock on my nightstand. “You let me sleep in?” she yelled.

“Whoa, I’m sorry. I thought you might’ve needed the sleep.” I muttered.

“On top of that you fucking let me sleep in this…this drug house!” she spat, getting out the bed and tugging on her ruined shorts. “I cannot believe this fucking happened.”

I felt a stab of hurt run through my chest. “You know what? Just get your shit on and I’ll drop you off at your house and you can find your way to school. I didn’t ask for you to fucking come here, I sure as hell didn’t want you apart this part of my life but you can’t mind your own damn business and leave shit alone now can you?” I snapped, standing up throwing a t-shirt on and a pair of jeans. I slipped on my Jordan’s and stalked out the room, digging in my pockets for the keys to my truck. Hopping I started the ignition, slamming my fist on the horn to rush Sage and sure enough there she came out the building with a glum look on her face. I didn’t care. I was hurt. She had a lot of nerve to say what she just did and that even rest my case that we really didn’t need to be together. As soon as she slammed the door I sped out the parking space and down the street. I ran about four stoplights before I made it to her house. I didn’t even bother putting the car in park or make any move to look her in the face. “I’m done.” I muttered.

“What do you mean you’re done?”

“I mean I’m done. Don’t want you messing around with someone who just makes everything worse for you Sage, now get out.”

“You can’t be serious.” She whispered. “I didn’t mean what I said, I was just really upset.”

“Yeah well you’ve been getting upset a lot lately. You were right in the beginning we shouldn’t be together and now I’m finally realizing it all. It’s done, over with.”

There was a long silence that wafted over the truck before her voice cracked and she said, “Fine.” I watched her get out the truck and slam my door. I didn’t even watch her walk into her house; I just sped out her neighborhood.

SAGE

That night I couldn’t sleep worth shit. I kept looking at my phone, and my window hoping Jason would appear. I was angry with him but mostly with myself. I was angry that I said the things I did when I knew I didn’t mean them. I was just angry and I knew I should’ve bit my tongue but I didn’t and now Jason wanted nothing to do with me. This morning I walked into the school earlier than usual, stopping by my locker first. I saw Jason leaning against Madison Luciano’s, the volleyball captain, locker. I quickly diverted my glance from his and slammed my locker shut holding my books close to my chest as I scampered away. He made it his goal to ditch the classes that we had together but at lunch I saw him with Madison again. I never knew he would move on so fast, but I guess I couldn’t change anyone’s mind.

Now I was just changing into my cheer uniform for the scrimmage we had tonight in the locker room. I pulled my hair into a ponytail with a bow around it. I perfected my winged eyeliner before making my way out into the gym while the boys started their “get pumped” session blasting music. I was making my way outside to the bleachers when I heard my name get called. I turned around and saw Ricky, star running back, racing towards me. “Oh hey Ricky.” I smiled.

“Hey, I have a question.” He smiled, stopping in front of him. He started rubbing the back of his neck as he looked to the ground, which looked adorable. “I heard you and Jason called it quits so I just wanted to know if you wanted to go with me to Henry’s after the game. The diner gives away free monster milkshakes to our team and I thought it’d be cool if you went…you know with me? Maybe?”

I giggled a little, “Yeah sure, I am a sucker for a chocolate shake.”

His smile grew bigger and he nodded his head, “Yeah, I’ll give you a ride over there?”

“Yeah sure.” I smiled before turning a little bit and heading over to the field.

If Jason could do this, so could I.

JASON

I watched Trace make the winning touchdown against the Sabers in the fourth quarter with 24 seconds left on the clock. It was the first time I decided to pay attention to the game. My eyes were watching Sage cheer the whole time, and it pissed me off that she didn’t dare once meet my glare. I was angry. I watched as Ricky waved to her before he went on the field and she was the one to help him with his water when he got off the field. When the game ended the whole team huddled up and cheered as they made their way back to the locker rooms. I watched as all the cheerleaders made their way to their football boyfriends and walked hand and hand to their designated area while the rest of us made our way to our cars so we could celebrate at the diner down the street, Henry’s. I sighed and stood up with Miles and Kaden, keeping my eye out for Madison because I’ve been dodging her the whole game. This morning didn’t even mean to happen and she’s been clinging onto me like fleas to a dog. Looking down at the cheerleaders again I was hoping to see Sage staring back up at me, but instead, she was receiving a piggy back ride from the fucking asswipe Ricky. I growled and ran my way down the bleachers, only to get caught in a crowd and felt hands attach themselves to my arm. I closed my eyes for a second and looked back at Madison’s smiling face. “Yes Madison?”

“Are you going to Henry’s?”

“Yeah, I always do.”

“So I’ll see you there?”

“Yeah maybe.”

She kissed my lips softly, “Great.”

I was stunned for a bit and looked back towards Sage and Ricky to see her watching me before the both of them disappeared into the locker room doors.