seventeen

17

JASON

Miles, Kaden, Sage and I arrived at the go-kart track around dusk. We decided to do dinner, go racing for about two hours, catch a movie, and then I had a fight on the outskirts of town. Sage’s dad thinks that she’s over Justine’s house and for some reason Justine agreed to cover for her. I didn’t know what to think of it all I was just hoping that Justine didn’t expect for me to repay her for anything because I just didn’t want to lose Sage again. I had done that enough lately and it was my goal to keep her from now on. I paid for Sage and I and walked in, getting her strapped in. “I’ll try not to kick your ass.” I smirked, kissing her forehead.

When I tried to pull away she pulled me back down to her, “Let’s make a little wager, shall we?”

I raised an eyebrow, “Alright, I’m listening.”

“If I win, we throw a party tonight at your house.”

“I don’t know. The last time that happened, I lost you cause I got drunk. I can’t let that happen again.”

“Are you scared you’re going to lose?” she smiled.

Oh no, she was challenging me and she knew that I can’t back away from a challenge. It was impossible. “No, I know I’ll kick your ass.”

“Then let’s bet.”

“What happens when I win?”

“What do you want?”

I thought for a second. My mind drifted back to the whipped cream and chocolate sauce I bought today at the grocery store. “I want you in my bed, my way.”

“What’s your way?”

“That’s for me to know and for you to find out.”

She thought about it for a second and then revved up her engine. “You’re on.”

I heard Miles and Kaden “ooh” behind us. I smirked and got in the car beside her switching the gears, revving my engine as well. I knew not to underestimate this girl because even though her father was a very high government official, he was a down low grease monkey and if there was any girl that knew her shit on cars, it was Sage. Miles and Kaden started cat-calling behind us, revving their engines as well. We watched the lights, my hand tight on the steering wheel as the red light slipped into yellow. I looked over at Sage out of the corner of my eye just as the light turned green and we both sped off.

There was no way I was losing this bet.

SAGE

I was ahead of him. The wind was blowing in my hair as I raced towards the finish line. Miles was gaining on me but I didn’t care as long as I didn’t lose to Jason. Even though I was still looking forward to whatever he had in mind my pride was very much so in the way. My eyes were on the prize. I knew I was going to win. I just knew I was going to kick his ass at his own game when I heard a whistle beside me and there he was. He winked at me and then sped up ahead of me, crossing in front of me. The road narrowed, making it impossible for me to go around him. I pressed my foot down harder on the gas pedal, waiting for an opening to come but it never did. The finish line had came and gone and I lost. I slowly stopped the kart to a halt next to Jason’s, rolling my eyes at his devilish grin. He was so cute but so arrogant. I loved it. Before I could push myself out of the kart there he was, helping me out. “You cheated.” I frowned. I knew he didn’t but it made me feel better to say it.

“If that helps you sleep better at night.” He whispered in my ear, taking my earlobe in between his teeth. “Make sure you’re wearing something sexy to that party tonight. I want it to look good on my floor.”

Oh my.