six

6

SAGE

Henry’s made most of their money after our games. Henry’s is one of our biggest sponsors for our football team and in return after every game we made it tradition for us to show up and spend money. I was sitting next to Ricky while joking around with Trace, the quarterback and his girlfriend Melissa as the rest of the team joked around with us eating burgers, fries and pancakes. I felt eyes on me and sure enough when I looked across the room there Jason was, glaring at me, willing me to do something…maybe even acknowledge him in some way. But there was no way I was going to do that. I was super pissed off with him. I didn’t understand how he could hurt me like that when we literally just broke up last night. I knew he was never one to dwell but I didn’t understand how I could to meaning so much to him to nothing at all in the matter of hours. I watched how Madison leaned in and kissed his neck. His eyes closed for a brief second before he opened them back up to look down at her. I rolled my eyes and stole a fry off of Chase’s plate, engaging myself back into conversation with the team. “Melissa your back hand spring tonight was killer.”

“Thanks! I’ve been practicing all damn weekend so it was perfect.” Melissa smiled.

“Oh it was great! I’m hoping to get my tuck down before this Friday’s game.” Tessa said from the other end of the table.

“We should work on those at practice tomorrow.” I said, sipping my shake.

“Yes! That’d be great.” Meredith smiled.

“How about you guys practice on the field tomorrow? Then we can watch you.” Trace said, wiggling his eyebrows at his girlfriend.

“You’re so gross.” Melissa giggled, elbowing her boyfriend in the ribs.

“All for you baby.” Trace laughed, kissing her cheek.

“I mean, if you want us to show you guys up I have no problem showing you our moves.” I smiled, looking at Ricky.

“I’ll have you know I have a killer tuck and could teach you guys a few things.” Ricky laughed.

I rolled my eyes, “Oh yeah right and my name is Beyonce.”

“In that case can I have your autograph?” Chase said, tossing his napkin at me.

I giggled and threw it back to him and then everyone grew silent. I looked up and a vey angry Jason was looking down at me. “What do you want?”

“Let’s go.” He snapped.

Everyone’s eyes diverted to me. “I’m hanging out with friends Jason, leave me alone.” I knew I was adding more blood to the water but I couldn’t help myself. He had no right to do this, but then again this was Jason we were talking about. He didn’t have a right to half of the things he does but he still does them.

“I said let’s go Sage Marissa! I’m not going to say it again.” Jason yelled, holding out his arm.

Just as I was about to slide out Ricky grabbed my arm and said, “You don’t have to listen to this kid. He doesn’t own you.”

“It’s fine Ricky.” I tried to smile, but I’m sure it came out as more of a grimace.

“Will you call me later to let me know you’re alright?” he asked, I could see the worry in his eyes.

“Of course I will.” I smiled, and his grip released on my arm before Jason dragged me out of the booth and outside.

JASON

“I can’t believe you did that! You’re not my dad!” she yelled at me as I drove down the street. “You’re impossible, you can fuck around with whoever you want but when I want to have some fun you come and act like I’m the wrong one.”

“I have a right to what I just did. That kid was acting like he was your boyfriend.”

“You have no right to step in anymore. You made it clear today that we were not together. You broke up with me, remember? Or do I need to refresh your damn memory?”

She was right, but I wasn’t going to admit that. “You can’t be with him.”

“I’ll be with who I want to be with and you have no control over that.”

“I have control over just about everything you do. If you don’t listen to me, I’m sure he will.” I gripped onto the steering wheel tighter as we came up to her street. I pulled in front of her house. Before she could bolt out of the car I grabbed her arm and pulled her close to me. “You can’t see him anymore, are we clear?”

“You lost that authority a long time ago.”

“I didn’t lose anything.”

“You lost me.”

“If I really lost you why did you get in the car with me? You like being near me even if you want to kick my ass.”

“Shut up.” She snapped. “You have better things to worry about. Why don’t you worry about your little volleyball player? I’m sure Madison wouldn’t be too happy about you being so close to me.”

“I can give a rat’s ass about what Madison likes or doesn’t like. Or what makes her happy or what makes her bat shit crazy. You know damn well we’re not over and done with. You know me better than any of these girls around here, do you really think I’m giving you up?”

She snatched her arm away from me and threw her door open, “You already did.”

 It took me a minute to realize what had just happened and by the time she was at the door pulling out her keys I was sprinting up the driveway to get her. “Wait, what?”

“You broke up with me, so leave me alone.”

“You know I can’t leave you alone.”

“I don’t care anymore! If I say some wrong things sometimes and I get bullied for it and then broken up with why should I fucking stick around like a lost puppy and wait for you? I cried myself to sleep over you last night, and I vowed to myself that’s never happening again. You know me too well and you know how to weaken me and it wont happen again I can guarantee that.” She said before throwing the door open and slamming it in my face.

I fucked up this time.