seven

7

JASON

I paced in front of the doors to the gymnasium waiting for the second they opened the doors to let people in to sit. I had a single white rose in my hand because I knew how much Sage loved white roses. It was Thursday, the day of her recital and I told her I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I had a fight to go to right now but I chose her over everything. I needed to make a change and I knew that it wasn’t going to be easy but for Sage, it was worth it. Watching her prance around this week with that idiot kid Ricky pissed me off, and something odd strikes me whenever I saw that kid. They finally opened the doors and I raced to the front and center. I remembered exactly where she told me she wanted me to sit. When she looked out into the crowd, I wanted her to know there I was. I felt a hand on my shoulder and when I turned around Sage’s dad was standing behind me with a smile on his face. “Oh hey Mr. Gabriel.” I said, standing up to shake his hand.

“I saw you pacing and thought that it would be better if I just said hey to you in here.” He laughed. “And I told you, just call me Gabe.”

“I feel so much more comfortable with Mr. Gabriel.” I laughed nervously.

“Whatever suits you best. How’s it been? Haven’t seen you at the house in a while.”

Little does he know I’ve been there so many times, just riding past calling Sage’s phone, “I’ve been really busy with work.” Not a lie. “And Sage isn’t too happy with me right now, but I wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Not a lie.

Sage got her looks from her father. The dark brown hair and the cream skin, oh and the gorgeous green-blue eyes. He said, “Oh, I get that. Best friend issues huh? Don’t like the guy she’s dating?”

“She’s dating someone?”

He shrugged. “She just went to dinner with that Ricky character last night, I just figured…”

My blood boiled, I felt my hands ball into fists inside my pockets. “Oh…will you excuse me?”

“Of course.” He smiled a little before sitting down a row behind me.

I all but ran to the bathroom and slammed the door shut. I had to calm down my breathing. There was someone in the stall but I didn’t care. I was ape shit angry. I wanted to get Sage and take her and lock her away forever. She was mine, not his. MINE. Ricky thinks he can just come into my territory and take my prized possession? Wrong. Sage knows where home is, she knows what’s right. I’m what’s right. No one knows her better than I do, no one can make her feel like I do and if she thinks differently she’s crazy. My hands gripped the sides of the sink so tight my knuckles turned white. The toilet in one of the stalls flushed and when the door swung open there Ricky was, staring at me with a smug grin…I’ve seen it somewhere before. “Get out of here.”

He laughed, “You don’t make me jump like you do everyone else. I’m not scared of you, never will be.”

“You have some nerve coming into here thinking that you can take what’s mine and get away with it.”

“Oh you think I want Sage? No. I just want to make you realize that you’re not as clever as you think. It’s actually pretty easy starting new to this school just last year and making your girl get on her knees for me like we knew each other forever.”

“You shut your fucking mouth, you piece of shit.” I growled. “You’re not going to fuck with Sage like that.”

“Who says I already haven’t?”

“I know that girl like the back of my hand, she’s not going to do that. She has more respect for herself than that.”

He laughed as he ran his hands under the water, rinsing soap off his fingers. “Sure.”