Chapter Thirteen.

Please vote and comment.

It was late Sunday morning and I was in the kitchen preparing brunch for Gwen and I.

My phone buzzed and I almost slipped trying to reach it.

Lucca:
Hello? I hope you're okay. I'd love to hear from you. I miss you.

~L~

I blanked out the screen and went back to my work when I heard Gwen call out.

"In here." I called back and I listened to her footsteps as they came towards the kitchen.
"Hey sweetie?"

Instead of replying she rushed to me and fiercely hugged me. "I missed you." She whispered into my ear with a deep sigh.

"I missed you too." I said as she pulled away and looked into her teary eyes. "Hungry?"

"Yes." She replied with a shy smile.

"Good." I beamed, "Sit, sit. I'm almost done."

It wasn't long before we'd stuffed ourselves silly and were now sitted outside on the back porch.

"So....... how are you?" I began.

"To be honest? Not so great. I mean Fashion Week in Paris was a dream come true. They loved my clothes. I'm becoming a sensation in the fashion industry globally." She began.

"But?" I probed and she let out a heavy sigh.

"I know you saw it. The scandal between Auri and I in Milan a few weeks ago." She said, staring at her lap in shame.

"I did." I said thinking. "And I get the feeling there was more to your emotional involvement than you let on."

"Emotional?" She scoffed nervously. "I was just frustrated with......."

"Gwen...." I cut her off and she sighed.

"Okay okay. I'll tell you but...... promise me you won't tell Victoria." She said, the last part rushed as she looked me in the eye, pleading.

"Okay. It's not my secret to tell." I reassured her and she took a deep breath going back to staring at her lap.

"Vincent, Victoria's little brother and I have been sort of seeing each other."

I stared into nothing. I had not seen that coming.

I was seriously losing track of my friends lives.

"Since when?" I asked and she worried her hands more.

"A year or more now.....ever since her father's sixtieth surprise birthday party. He started coming to New York more often for work and to see Victoria and in his spare time we'd go out or simply hang out at my apartment. It's getting serious or I think it is."

"And neither of you have told Victoria?"

"Yes."

"But why?"

"I'm scared." She said with a sad chuckle. "Heck, I'm terrified."

"Why?"

"Don't you see it? You know how overprotective Victoria is over her little brother."

And that's when it dawned on me. Victoria was the little miss perfect in our group. Despite the fact that she is friends with Gwen, she would never approve of her relationship with her brother. Gwen would never be good enough for Vincent in Victoria's eyes.

                                 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was Wednesday and I was headed to Reece's office for lunch. In spent most of my Sunday afternoon with Gwen and Saturday with Victoria.