Chapter Twenty.

Please vote and comment.

"Surprise!" Came calls from the room I now realised was huge.

"Oh my God!" I whispered as my hand flew to my chest as my eyes took in the faces in the room.

The room suddenly went quiet and their eyes were  focused behind me causing me to turn to Lucca.

I couldn't see him and a tug at my hand caused me to look down. I silently gasped.

"Gabby, I've never loved anyone as much. And I never thought I ever would after I lost you. You take my breathe away since the first moment I saw you all those years ago. You were more than I could ever have wished for, especially at sixteen." He said and everyone chuckled along with him at the last part.

"You're everything to me especially now that you're having my baby." He says as he  places a kiss on my belly. "You're a vision tonight, just as you were at my birthday close to a decade ago and many years later,  I'm still awestruck. And before our friends and family tonight, I want to be in awe of you for the rest of my life. Gabrielle Woods, Will you do me the honour of being my wife? Again?"

Tears of joy flow freely down my face, one hand over my mouth, eyes fixated on the man I never ceased to love.

"Yes! Yes of course." I close to scream.

A grin spreads across his face as he slips the ring on my finger gets to his feet and kisses me passionately as cheers erupt around us.

                                 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It turns out the "dinner" was a surprise engagement party and a tour of my soon to be bakery. I had not realised its one of the properties I had been considering just a few weeks ago until the lights had come on and the whole engagement scene had ended.

The girls and I were busy gazing at the ring on my finger but I couldn't help searching the crowd for the man I had to thank for tonight.

I was surrounded by familiar faces all round, from my former work colleagues including a grinning Paul, to close friends like the girls and some of Lucca's friends, right down to family, Lucca's dad and his sister Alda, Victoria's dad and her brother Vincent and to my great surprise, even Lizzy and Lawrence were here.

"Congratulations!" Lizzy gushed when I made my way over to them as she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Thank you." I flushed as we pulled away and Lawrence hugged me too.

"I was so excited when Lucca called inviting us for this." Lizzy said as I pulled away from Law as she motioned to the party.

"I had no clue he was planning all this." I answered.

"There you are." A voice called from behind me as hands slipped around my waist.

"I should introduce you guys officially. Lucca these are the McCarthys, my cousin Elizabeth and her husband Lawrence. Lizzy and Law, this is my fiance Lucca Giovanni."

"It's nice to finally put a face to the name. It's a pleasure to meet you both." Lucca says as he shakes both their hands.

"The pleasure is all ours handsome." Lizzy answers causing Lucca to flush and Law to roll his eyes at his wife.

"Thank you for taking care of her when I didn't." Lucca says, running a nervous hand through his hair.

"You're welcome. Now is your chance to make up for it. I don't need to threaten you. I know Mr. Bennet over there already has." Lawrence answers as he raises his glass to Victoria's father who is sitted on a small armchair across the room and raises his glass back at him.

I can't help but laugh at the father figures in my life and Lucca's distressed face.

"Rest assured Mr. McCarthy."

"Oh you're family now. Just call me Law." Lawrence replies with a smile, easing Lucca's mind while Lizzy and I laugh.

This would be a good night.

                                   ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was getting worried as my due date had passed and I was still as round as a ball. The doctor had said everything was fine and that not all due dates are accurate. He'd checked on the baby and reassured me that all was well. I couldn't stop thinking about it though. 

We'd put off the wedding till after the baby was born and I was glad I could focus on the baby first. Everything else was also after the baby was born. It would be easier that way.

Lucca had insisted on taking me out for dinner to get my mind off of that but I couldn't help it.

"Come on baby," he urged, "you need to eat something."

I glared at him, continuing to pick at my food just as a sharp pain shot through me and I couldn't help but fist the tablecloth in my hand.

"Baby? Are you alright?" Lucca asked and that's when it happened.

"Lucca?" I called and he was kneeling beside me in a second, my hand in his as another jolt of pain wrecked through me.

"What is it baby?"

"My water just broke."

It was a blur of pain and movement before I was finally in the delivery room screaming bloody murder.

The hours whirled away and I was soon holding him.

An exact replica of his father while Lucca hovered protectively over us.

"I told you it's a boy." Lucca whispered into my ear and I chuckled while he kissed my sweat covered face.

"What shall we call him?" I asked, my eyes moving from the baby to his father.

"Dante Adrian Giovanni." He replied and my eyes welled up.

Memories of Adrian Woods flooded my mind and I couldn't help loving Lucca more for choosing to honour my father that way. It means the world to me. I reached up and kissed him, all pain from a while ago forgotten.

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Alda had asked to hang around as I recovered and took care of the house more than I could have myself.

Now I was sitted watching as she and the girls fawned over the baby. I noticed Victoria's reaction was more attuned to the baby than the other girls, attention like that of a mother or soon to be mother but Lucca's entrance swept those thoughts away.

"Ladies." He acknowledged them before walking over to me and placing a kiss on my lips. I blushed knowing the girls were watching but I'd missed him. I couldn't care less. I was in bliss.