Chapter Sixteen.

Two updates!
This one will kill you though.
Love you!!
Enjoy!

Lucca's POV.

The faces of the men were the same. The ones that had attacked me a week or so ago were the same ones hurling blow after blow on my now suspended body.

Carter was no where to be seen. Probably planning his next move but before he left he'd checked his watch as though waiting for something.

His men had been at it for a while draining themselves and even taking shifts. I could no longer ignore the feeling that something big was coming. I just didn't know what.

                                  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I was driving but I wasn't there.

"Gabby?" Someone called but it was distant.

"Gabby?" I snapped out of my thoughts and turned towards Gwen who was shaking me slightly. "Are you okay?"

"I need to go back for him." Was all I said. "I'll drop you off where we'd stopped and I'll go back and get him"

"I'll go with you....."

"No! I've already put you in enough danger. I'll go alone."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'll leave you with my phone after I send them your coordinates. When they come you give the the address to the warehouse."

"But how will we reach you?"

"I have a spare phone. It's saved in mine." I said and we pulled over. I got out and I helped her over to a big rock where she sat down. I handed her the phone and eyed her keenly.

"Are you okay with me leaving you here?" I asked.

"Yeah yeah. Go save Lucca then you can come and tell me what the hell is going on with you two!" She said and I could feel myself turn a light shade of pink.

"Thanks Gwen. I'm really sorry you got mixed up in this."

"It's okay. I'm just glad I made it out of there alright. Now go! I'll be fine."

I quickly hugged her and ran to the car.

"Oh!" She said and I stopped, "please be careful."

I smiled and nodded. I slipped into the car and took off.

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I got out of the car and ran to the door, planning to bang my fists on it till they let me in but......

It slipped open at my approach and there stood a smiling Carter.

"I knew you'd come back. The only question was....... when?" He said smiling.

Behind him I could see Lucca's suspended body now almost limp.

"Please let him go." I begged.

"Why don't you come in and we can discuss that?" He said motioning me to get inside and I obliged.

"Please Carter, let him go. Please."

"You and I both know it won't be that easy love. I make deals not give sympathy cards."

"I'll do anything. Just let him go."

"Anything?" He turned to me, an evil glint in his eye. I gulped.

There was a long silence and I eyed lucca hoping he was holding up okay. No pun intended.

He'd just been attacked recently. He had recovered but wasn't fully back in good shape and here he was again. Getting beat up.

"You know, I did have some help? Alittle help from a friend of yours."

Friend?

"Her name is Quinn if I'm not wrong. Crazy girl I have to admit but she drove a good bargain. She, of course, will have what she's always wanted especially since you've come back here after saving your friend."

"You've played exactly according to her script. So about that deal......"

"What do you want."

"My original deal still stands."

"If I go with you, you'll let him go and leave him and his family alone?"

"Gabby no!" I heard a hoarse voice say.

"Yes. If we leave now, I'll do anything you please my love."

I paused. My gaze turning towards Lucca. His now swollen eyes begging me not to do it but......

I'd had enough. I couldn't let them kill him. I couldn't put anyone else in danger. If I left with him all this would end. Everyone would be safe.

Quinn would still be out there but I'm sure Carter would be inclined to share her whereabouts. He was never one to make friends after all. He controlled people and once he couldn't control you, you became a liability.

Quinn would be a liability.

It was my only choice. I'd reached my wits end. I'm done fighting.

"I'll go." I whispered but he heard. So did Lucca.

"Gabby no!" He barely yelled causing one of the men to punch him.

"Stop!" I yelled and as though feeling his pain, one struck my stomach causing me to double over.

Carter rushed to my side and I could hear Lucca struggle against his restraints.

"Let him down." I hissed at Carter and he nodded to one of his men.

I slowly watched as they lowered him and ignoring Carter's concern, I rushed to lucca's side.

"Gabby you can't go with him!" He said as  I pulled him into my lap.

"I'm sorry my love. You're okay. Everything will be okay." Was all I said, vaguely hearing Carter order his men to clear up the place.

"You can't leave me Gabby. Not again. I'm not gonna let you." I avoided his gaze as I rocked him gently trying to fight the tears in my eyes.

"They are coming. They'll take care of you okay?"

"Gabby please."

"You'll be fine. So will everyone. Everything will be alright." I ran one hand through his hair while the other held his.

"Gabby we need to go." Carter called and I knew this was goodbye. I'd be lucky if I ever saw Lucca again.

"Gabby no!" Clutching onto my hand like a vice, now getting rattled as my decision sank in.

"Shh...... I'll be okay my love." I said before I kissed his lips and I could feel him relax. I slipped my hand out of his and pulled away.

"Gabby no!" He yelled over and over as I moved from under him. He was too weak to move much but his cries tore at my core. I pulled off my coat and folded using it to prop up his head.

Carter grabbed my hand and began to follow his men out. I didn't put up a struggle, I just let him lead me out as I tried to block out Lucca's cries.

It was over.

We'd lost.