A little thing called 'Love'

I've stared at this screen for the past week thinking about what message to post next- something inspirational and deeply moving, a chapter featuring quotes such as 'You don't have to be black to be outraged' but after many futile attempts, I finally know why I can't.

It would be a huge disservice.

My words are nothing. They will do nothing and they will heal no one. Maybe they'll move a few of you, but as soon as you've logged off, you'll resume with your lives beyond Wattpad. Wars will still continue and hate will still stir.

Why then should I pretend to know your pain?

Why then should I use your grief to earn a few likes on my book?

Why should your suffering become my blatant self-promotion?

Why should I focus on just America and neglect the rest of the world, forget the very continent that I come from, filled with strife and relentless starvation? * let it be clear that I do feel outraged as well as sorrowful for everything that has happened in America*

My point?....

The chapter I intended to write would have been a disservice if the words I wrote had no action behind them.

I am a Christian- I will not participate in homophobia and I will learn to respect other religions. One of my greatest commandments is to love my neighbour, I will do that first and worry about the rest later and I will bow my head and get on bended knee and pray my heart out for you.

I am African - I will not take part in tribalism. We are one, we are stronger united.

I am black- I will not take part in reverse racism and dwell on colonialism. Skin is skin, you are my brother- you are my sister.

I am a woman- may I never participate in sexism. May I empower those around me.

All in all, I vow to love.

If we seek justice by committing atrocities with this 'tit for tat' mentality, what are we resolving? But if you and I promised to love one another- promised to see past differences and years of ignorance - wouldn't that be a better solution?

It's one thing to hurt and grieve for you, it's another thing to vow to change my life, so that what happened to you may never happen to anyone else.

I'm only one person, but 4k people read this book so just maybe....😘