Chapter 19

Meet me at the park.

The words replayed in my head thousands of times as I quickly picked up a jacket and wore my running shoes before I found myself standing in the middle of the park.

I looked around before I saw Adrien sitting on a swing with the other one empty, waiting to be occupied.

I walked over to him and sat on the swing.

"Hello", I smiled.

He smiled back- but I could tell something was wrong.

"So, why did you call me here?" I asked.

He shrugged before he silently stared ahead of him.

Apart from the couple sitting on the bench a few feet away from us, the park was pretty much empty.

"It looks like there's so much on your mind," I commented.

"I'm having a bad day," he responded to which I nodded.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked, trying not to pry.

He nodded again.

"That's why I called you here,"

It was my turn to nod this time around.

He sighed,

"Today is her death anniversary. 2 years,"

He said with a cracking voice. My breath hitched and it didn't take a genius to figure out who he meant.

His mom.

"I'm so sorry for your loss," I said as I felt tears build up in my eyes at his broken state.

"It was my fault," he inhaled before closing his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"2 years ago, if I hadn't ran off after seeing her argue with dad.. she wouldn't have-" he paused as he swallowed the lump in his throat, "she wouldn't have had to push me to save me from the truck racing towards me,"

I clamped my hand over my face as I tried to stifle my sobs. No one deserves to go through this.

Before I knew it, I stood up from my swing and pulled him to my embrace.

"It's not your fault. You wouldn't have known that she'd be gone from you within a couple of minutes. That's death.. it always comes out of nowhere and leaves you in insufferable grief that slowly suffocates you," I uttered.

"The way her eyes looked for me even when her soul was slowly leaving her body. It will always haunt me. The tears in her eyes as she apologized to me for having to leave so early.. I won't ever forget how she- how she gave up her life just to ensure that I'm safe and happy. Too bad I can't be happy without her," he said before a tear managed to slip out of his eye. I immediately brought my hand up and wiped it.

"She wouldn't appreciate seeing you in this state, you know. She's watching over you from up there, hoping to see you smile with real joy radiating from you," I voiced as I felt him nod against my neck.

"I know. I will try to be happy for her, and I have the perfect person that I know will help me through this all," he stood up straight in front of me as he let out a genuine smile.

"Thank you," he whispered.