Letter #22

Song: Fourth of July by Fall Out Boy

"And I'm starting to forget, just what summer ever meant to you, what did it ever mean to you?"

****

He texted me today and asked if I wanted to his parent's barbecue that they were holding for the 4th of July tonight.

I said yes, because it wasn't like I had anything else to do.

I danced around trying to figure out what to wear. Was it a casual thing? Was it a come-as-you-are kind of thing??

I chose the easier way out, which was casual.

I hurry to get ready, because I don't want to be late. Finally, just as I'm finishing up, the doorbell rings. I hear my mom open the door and say something, before she yells at me to get downstairs.

"Coming!!" I yell back. I grab my bag and sling it over my shoulder. When I get downstairs, the first thing I see is his eyes. His bright blue and grey eyes.

He takes a deep breath.

"Oh god.." I hear him mumble under his breath and I stare at him curiously.

"Do I look okay? Do I need to change??" I ask him.

"Oh god no, you look stunning." He says as he reaches for my hand, and I take a deep breath. I say goodbye to my mother and we walk out, hand in hand. We drive until we get to his house and yet again I'm stunned by how huge it is.

I practically run up to his front step, even though inside I got hit in the head by his little brother.

He laughs and it makes my stomach flutter, but I quickly push aside those butterflies.

He opens the door and I'm overwhelmed by the smell of cooking meat and fruit punch.

His mother and father greet me and I hug Jamie.

We sit around the campfire, waiting for the fireworks to begin. He's sitting next to me, close to me. The fireworks begin and I gasp at the exploding balls of fire.

"Look at it!! It's amazing!!" I exclaim, looking up at them. I glance at him and he's staring up at the fireworks too. His eyes are shining in the red, blue and white lights in the sky and his eyes look lilac.

"Yeah, they really are." He says. He looks at me, and I'm still looking at him. We stare at each other and then we start to lean in.

It's the kind of thing that happens in really chessy books, right??

Well, then I guess I'm cheesy.

Because we kissed under the 4th-of-July fireworks.