Letter #24

Song: Lost Stars by Maroon 5
"Searching for meaning, but are we all, lost stars, trying to light up the dark?"

****
He asked me to be his girlfriend today and I was shocked, even though we did kiss. I wasn't sure if I was ready for that, because I still have trust issues because of you. I went over to his house because he texted me and said he wanted to show me something, so curiously I drove over to his house.

Jamie wasn't home, he was at some friends house.

His father was not home, but his mother was. I got there and the door was unlocked, but I knocked anyways. His mother greeted me with a smile.

"He's upstairs getting ready, you can go up." She said, her red hair shining in the light. I nodded and smiled. I went up the stairs and I stopped as I heard a voice coming from his room.

From the crack of the open door I could hear him talking to himself, he was holding rubber balls and sounding confused.

"Come on!! I have to get it. She's going to be over soon and this needs to be perfect." He says, his arms trying to juggle the balls and when he drops one he cries out in frustration. I can't help but laugh and he hears me and turns around. His face turns bright red and serious.

"Oh my god.. How much did you see?" He asks, his cheeks as red as a tomato. I laugh again, this time standing up at the top of the stairs.

"Everything." I say through giggles. His face is so red, it's adorable.

"Son of a bitch.." He says, walking over to me and not looking at me. His hair is hitting the light and it's a bright dirty blonde. "Well.. I tried doing magic tricks and stuff to impress you... But I couldn't hold all the cards and I couldn't juggle.. I'm sorry. You don't have to stay if you don't want to." He mumbles. I smile and I grab his hand.

His blue-grey eyes look up at me.

"I want to stay. Now, what can you already do?" I ask him. He smiles, now.

"I can play the guitar, but I hardly ever play for people." He says, looking at me intently.

"Would you make an exception for me??" I ask him, batting my eyelashes. He laughs.
"Anything for you." He says, guiding me into his room and picking up a blue guitar and sitting on a stool.

He pats the stool next to him.

I sit down and he starts strumming the guitar.

I don't recognize the song until he starts singing and then I gasp.

Lost Stars by Adam Levine.

It's one of my favorite songs, and I get lost in his voice singing it. It's not long until I hear another voice join along with him.

Startled, I realize it's me joining in.

He stares at me the whole time when I sing along. Our eyes are locked the whole time. Finally, the song ends and he grabs my hand. He's still looking at me and our eyes are still locked.

His jaw suddenly clenches and he looks away. I furrow my eyebrows.

"What?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"I need to ask you something but I don't know what you would say." He says, still shaking his head.

"Then ask me, and then you'd know what I'd say." I tell him. He hesitates.

"I want to tell you something first." He takes a deep breath. "I never trusted anyone after I got hurt by my old best friend. I thought I'd never love anyone again. When my mom forced me to go to dinner that night, I told her it would be hopeless. But when I went and saw you for the first time, I knew it was only a matter of time before I fell for you. And once we talked for hours, I knew I was in deep. Now here we are... And I've never loved anyone as much as I loved you. And that scares me. But I don't care, because goddamn it... I really freaking love you. And I know you might not be ready for a relationship because he hurt you really badly but... I want to be there for you. So.."

Now it's my turn to take a deep breath. "Lyla, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes."