Chapter 19

"So, Maddie." the nurse stated as she flipped through the clipboard notes. She has long wavy brown hair that was pulled up in a pony tail. The name tag hanging on her blue scrubs said 'Melinda'.

Maddie sighed annoyed with the nurse. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, getting extremely flustered.

"Your evaluation went well, and it looks like we can release you in the morning to your guardian." Melinda smiled. "You will just have to stay away from smoke and watch your breathing rate. Your lungs are still damaged slightly from the gas."

"Great," Maddie growled flipping her hair out of her face.

"Oh and with the bullet wound," Melinda continued. "Although it is only a flesh wound, and it will heal quickly, do not rip the stitches out."

Maddie nodded and watched the nurse set the clipboard on the end of her bed then exit the room.

Maddie slipped out of her bed and walked to the window. The window overlooked the visitors parking lot. The sky was dark and street lights flickered over the parked cars.

"It's been a long day Maddie," a voice spoke behind her, startling her.

"It has." She agreed, not moving from her position at the window.

The man standing behind the girl in the hospital gown sighed. "I know what it's like to loose everyone."

Maddie turned her head, making her tired hair fall over her shoulders. "You do?"

Gibbs signed once more and sat on the end of her bed. Sheepishly, Maddie approached him and sat next to him.

"My daughter and wife were witnesses of a drug cartel hit. They were soon killed in a hit, resulting in not only their deaths, but the death of a NCIS agent." Gibbs explained. "I was overseas at the time."

"So you know how it feels to crave revenge," Maddie whispered.

"Yes, and Maddie?" Gibbs waited for a response from the 15 year old sitting quietly next to him.

"Hmm?" She mumbled looking up at the silver haired man.

"I promise you, we will get the basterds responsible for your parents death and your kidnapping.

Maddie nodded. "The nurse that took the evaluation said that I'll bet easy to leave tomorrow morning," she looked over at the digital clock. "Or later on this morning, since it's just past midnight."

Gibbs looked at her waiting for Maddie to continue.

After a short pause, Maddie continued. "To my legal guardian."

"I can handle that, Maddie." Gibbs sighed. "You should get some sleep."

"Fine," Maddie agreed scooting up the mattress and under the scratchy cheep blanket.

"Goodnight," Gibbs smiled as her header out the door slowly shutting it behind him.

Once outside the room. He pulled out his phone. "McGee."

"Yes, that's the right room." He paused as McGee talked. "Protection."

Gibbs hung up and leaned against the oak door, waiting on his team member to arrive.

"Okay boss. I assume Tony is with Ziva?" McGee asked once he arrived at the room.

"Yes, I couldn't pry him away with a gun to his head." Gibbs said sternly.

McGee nodded and sat in the chair that sat next to the door.

-.-

"Leon we can't let this girl go into foster care." Gibbs growled. "It's a death sentence for her. She won't have a chance!"

"Don't you think I know that Gibbs?" The director yelled back.

"What is our options?" Gibbs asked calming down.

"I don't know." Leon whispered wiping off the sweat from his forehead.

"There has to be another option. There is always another option," Gibbs whispered pondering his head for another option.

Thanks for reading! This book is rapping up extremely nicely don't you think?

Love you all!

Comment
Vote
Follow!