nineteen

DAMSEL IN DISTRESS

~

I RAISE MY EYEBROWS, astonished for a moment, and my eyes darken, and I shake my head in disbelief. "Why didn't you tell me this sooner?" I asked hoarsely, my voice laced with an agonizing sadness.

"I didn't want you to worry about me."

"Taehyung-ah," my voice is soft, and challenging. "Why didn't you tell me about this?"

Unbidden and unwelcome tears pool in my eyes as I watch Taehyung slowly lower his head. Why am I crying? I sink to the ground, angry at myself for this senseless reaction. Drawing up my knees, I fold in on myself. I want to make myself as small as possible. Perhaps this nonsensical pain will be smaller the smaller I am. Placing my head on my knees, I let the irrational tears fall unrestrained.

"W-Well, I-I don't exactly have a say in this..." Taehyung cleared his voice with a rough, raspy ahem, "I think it would be best if you heard it from Jungkook himself."

My eyes make their way to Jungkook, and I look at him, and he holds my gaze steadily, impassive. "Jungkook-ah..." My voice is hoarse from unbidden, unshed tears—jeez, I'm not going to cry. I give him a small smile, "please, tell me everything."

Jungkook let a long and deep sigh slip out, then sat back down in his seat, scooting himself closer towards the edge of the table. He pushed his empty plate aside and rested his elbows upon the tabletop; his forearms stood tall with his hands clasped and against his forehead. I gazed at Jungkook, watching his every move intensely. As he began gnawing on his bottom lip, he gently shut his eyes, and another heart-sinking tear rolled down his moist cheek.

"I..." Jungkook coughed out, clearing his throat immediately after. "I lost my family in an accident."

Tears spring unwelcome into my eyes, "w-when did this happen..?"

He pauses, fractionally too long. "Right after you boarded the train."

I am so mad, and the scalding tears spill down my cheeks. I brush them furiously aside. I just want to curl up. Curl up and recuperate in some way. Heal my shattered faith. How could I have been so stupid? It's all my fault, and now, Jungkook is hurting. His breathing is ragged and harsh, whereas mine is almost nonexistent as I desperately scrabble around my psyche looking for some internal strength. How come he didn't tell me..? Why didn't he come to me for comfort..? My thoughts are all haywire and jumbled, echoing and bouncing off the inside of my skull.

"I'm so sorry, Jungkook," I apologize, struggling to find the right words. "That would've never happened if I hadn't left that day..."

"Noona, don't say that," interrupted Taehyung, his voice warm and husky. "If you hadn't gone that day, Jungkook would be gone as well. He was with his family before he left to say goodbye to you."

"Yeah, so please don't take this upon yourself," Hoseok assures me, relinquishing an ardent half-smile. "It was never your fault in the first place."

"After hearing what they're saying, I think you actually saved me, noona," said Jungkook. He looked at me with an earnest expression, and his lips curved upward slightly, letting me know that he had no more worries.

~

3rd Person POV:

THE THREE BOYS SETTLED themselves down, one by one, onto the two adjacent couches in the living room. As expected, Jungkook and Taehyung sat in different seats, far away from eachother. Hoseok hesitated, as he was conflicted on which couch he should sit himself upon. He hastily chose the same sofa as Jungkook, though he sat on the opposite side of him.