twenty two

THE DIRTY TRUTH

~

I MINDLESSLY STUFFED MY belongings into my tattered, shabby backpack, cramming things inside without a care. After Jungkook had just stood up for me, he hasn't said a word to me or even made an effort to make eye contact with me once class had begun. What's more, is that everyone noticed it as well, and obscurely laughed to themselves while glancing back at the two of us sitting together in utter silence. I felt... humiliated. My heart tightened painfully at the reality of this.
I peered up to see Jungkook had already slung his bag over his shoulder quite imprudently in a hurried manner. He took long strides towards the door, and with every step, I unconsciously reached my hand out farther and farther to him as the distance between us drastically increased. "Jung-" I muttered, stopping myself. My arm stretched to its full extent—however—I was too late, and Jungkook was already out of the classroom in a haste.

My brows furrowed, and I retreated my hand back, cocking my head to one side in disorientation. Why did Jungkook flee the classroom so quickly? More importantly, why did I not want him to leave? Oh, this is so confusing. I have to try to categorize and analyze my feelings for him and Taehyung. It's an impossible task. I shake my head in defeat. I need alone time, away from the both of them to think.

I embark from the classroom, taking a right down the congested corridor once I step out from the doorway. With this many students in the hallway, I didn't think I wouldn't run into either one of them, though, out of the corner of my eye, I was proven wrong. Before I could even fasten my pace, a single, cold hand latches onto my wrist, jerking me backwards. I just don't understand why he came after me. I begin to feel faint. He notices my dizziness and grabs me before I fall and hoists me into his arms, holding me from behind close to his chest like a child.

"Are you okay?" he asks dryly.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," I mutter, staring up at him. His expression is as gentle as a lamb, and I am furiously worrying with my eyes. He seems so soft. "I'm sorry, Jungkook-ah."

"What are you sorry for, (First Name)?"

"You having to stick up for me again, mainly. Catching my fall. Oh, the list is endless," I murmur, feeling my skin coloring up. Please, please, can I die now?

Jungkook gently pushes me forward, allowing me to stand alone upon my two feet. "Don't worry about it," he smiled assuringly, skipping forward to walk alongside me. "I've gotten used to protecting you now."

My face heats up discreetly, and I conceal the crimson flushed upon my cheeks with the fallen tresses that framed my face. I blink rapidly, my eyelids matching my heart rate. Ahh, why am I feeling this way? I contemplate, unconsciously kneading my fingers together behind my back. After all, Jungkook's name wasn't the one that came out from my mouth. I should be punished for my mixed feelings.

"You have math next, right?" he asks.

"Y-Yeah.." I forcefully stutter.

"I'll walk you there."

"You don't-"

"No questions asked."

Hesitantly, I sigh inaudibly, and we walk together down the congested grand stairwell towards the second floor, where all of the core subjects such as history and science take place. What should I say to him? My mind is suddenly paralyzed with apprehension. What are we going to talk about? What on Earth do I have in common with him? His soft, warm voice startles me from my reverie.