eight

BEAUTIFUL, TEARFUL NOTES

~

Taehyung's POV:

I STRAIGHTENED UP THE music sheets on the grand piano, sequncing them from page one to page six in a stack. I jittered around in my seat on the bench, anxious for (First Name) to finally hear me play for the first time in forever. The bright, blinding lights from above shone down onto the stage, but still, my determined eyes could spot (First Name) sitting front and center of the auditorium.

Just seeing her sit there reminded me of when she came to my first piano recital. She sat in the exact same spot, only her legs dangled from the chair since she was much shorter. And she wore a white flowy dress with yellow sunflowers all over.

Ah, she was so cute..

My heart was rapidly beating out of my chest; it felt like a broken jack-in-the-box just popping in amd out nonstop. The palms of my hands grew sweaty and my arms and legs were noodles. It definitely wasn't because of stage fright. In fact, I was ecstatic. I wanted (First Name) to know that I love music just as much as I loved her.

"Taehyung oppa!" (First Name) called, snatching me out of my daydream. I shook my head, then I turned to face her, affixing my floppy, coffee brown bangs.

"Y-Yes, noona?" I smiled, my teeth gleaming.

"We don't have all day," she giggled. "Come on! I want to see it already!"

"Arasseo, arasseo!"

"Just wait until you see me!" Jimin grinned, popping his head out from the side of the stage.

Since this was just a rehearsal, Jimin wasn't dressed in his contemporary dance costume. Instead, he wore a loose attire consisting of a plain black tank and a pair of grey sweatpants. I looked to him standing across from me, hiding behind the red velvet curtains. The two of us soon making eye contact. Giving him a slight nod, I indicated to him the starting cue as he offered a nod back too.

My fingers automatically rested themselves onto the black and white keys of the glossy, grand piano, feeling the familiar, chill touch against the tip of each tactile member. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath in and out of my nose with a miniscule smile. Once I pressed down the first chord of the piece, (First Name)'s face came into my mind.

I continued to move my fingers along the keys fluidly in a melodramatic fashion, and memories of (First Name) flowed in my head. Instinctively, the first thought was the two of us with our arms extended out, holding hands as we spun in a circle together repeatedly. This image of her was as crisp as a potato chip. Her five-year-old self right before my eyes was laughing hysterically for what seemed like forever, relishing in the moment. Unexpectedly, the memory blurred away, and my eyes suddenly pried wide open.

Jimin's body glided along with the music emitting from the piano, not one muscle ever stiff or tranquil. You could tell he was putting all his emotions into the performance as not just his body was dancing, but his facial expressions as well. He gritted his teeth and scrunched up his eyes and nose during punched minor chords. His lips curved into a gentle, solemn smile  amid the soft, frail melody notes. His overpassionateness was just breathtaking.

Seeing back to my music sheets, I regained the current place in the song and followed onward. Holy crap, I was itching to see what (First Name)'s face looked like right now. I pictured in my mind that her jaw had literally fallen to the floor in awe. In addition, I wished that in her mind she would realize that her heart had fallen for me too. I pursed my lips, refraining myself from taking a peek. But eventually, I couldn't stop myself, and I gazed at her from the corner of my eyes.

I was speechless.

She covered her mouth with one hand, tears waterfalled from her sullen eyes, and her whole body was trembling. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I should've immediately stopped my fingers from pressing down the keys which sang the next notes and chords, but (First Name) was so beautiful as she cried.

I have no clue why she's bawling her eyes out. No clue at all. Although I've known her for this long, you can't possibly expect me to know why she's just suddenly crying. Before long, the performance was coming to a close. Jimin dropped to his knees, still absorbed in song and his lustful movements. I finished speedily glissading down the keys of the piano, and finally ended with a frail major chord.

I exhaled heavily, clenching and releasing my worn-out fingers. I stared down at Jimin laying flat on his back like starfish. He was panting harshly, almost as if he were a pitbull. Then, my eyes trailed over to (First Name), who began making her way over to the side stairs leading up onto the stage. She sniffled and wiped away her excess tears with the sleeve of her blazer continuously. Walking right past Jimin who remained lifeless and static on the floor, (First Name) headed towards me with hesitant steps. She stopped right before me, her breaths airy and staccato. Looking up at her from my seat on the piano bench, I tendered a smile, then stretching my arms out to her, I freely snaked them around her waist.

"I-I r-really missed y-your playing," (First Name) sobbed, wrapping her arms atop my shoulders.

My cheek rested warmly right below her shoulder, and I tightened my embrace around her longingly. "I missed you listening to my playing," I chuckled.

(First Name) broke away only slightly, and we remained hanging onto eachother. She averted her eyes away from mine, chewing on her bottom lip. I grew anxious as well, and my heartbeats crescendoed into a sprint. As the stage lights shone from above us, (First Name)'s fallen face was shadowed while looking down at me. She pushed some of her fallen, (hair color) tendrils behind her ear shyly. Agh, why is she so pretty?  God damn it, I wish I could just hold her in my arms forever.

"N-Ne, o-oppa?" she murmured.

"Hmm?"

"Th-There's something I need t-to t-tell you.."

"Go ahead," I smiled sweetly.

"Saranghaeyo."

- - - - - -

A/N: The ending wasn't that dramatic, but I still thought I did a pretty good job writing!

Sorry this update was late. High school has been "busying" my schedule.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please save it to your library, add it to your reading list, comment, vote, and share with your friends! 💙

I love you and have an amazing day!

~ Kanzaki-chan ☆~(ゝ。