two ~ a deeper dive

Darling, look into my eyes
and we'll see flocks of
sea butterflies, fluttering by
on currents left behind by cargo ships.
~

The night was dead calm.

It was obvious that a storm was coming, for there was not a ripple upon the blue waters nor stars at the sky. That's what a handsome, sun-kissed boy thought as he looked out at the never-ending darkness of the cold night.

The sound of the big engines meeting the small waves is the only thing he's hearing, and is what keeps him at ease. This is what he liked about his job; after a long tiring day of carrying heavy cargos of crude oil back and forth his nights consist of deep reflections on his life with the moon shining down on him. Its shape was beautifully whole tonight, and he couldn't help but stare at it, completely mesmerized.

His slightly unruly hair was kissing the wind and his formal, white uniform that identified him as one of the many seaman on board was buttoned in a careless manner. It was currently loose on him, and he was content with feeling the sharp bite of the coldness. He didn't care if he was shivering. The sea is his second home and he honestly wouldn't have his nights any other way than this.

"Calum!" He heard someone calling out his name in a tone of authority. He immediately turned around with an alerted expression and even stood up straighter, when he saw the face of his good old friend with a shit-eating grin on his face.

"Ashton," he then sighed and his shoulders slumped. He really thought that it was their boss, but it was only their chef goofing around after his shift like always. He should've known. "What do you want now?"

The guy with the sandy blonde curls named Ashton began cackling hard, his deep dimples showing in both sides of his face. Calum tried stopping himself from chuckling, but Ashton's totally-not-manly high-pitched giggles were too contagious. He placed his hand on his hip and shook his head at the whole situation.

"It's- it's really funny when you automatically tense up in an exaggerated way whenever a serious voice booms out. You act as if we're in a war, mate." Ashton giggled again and wiped the happy tears in the side of his eyes. "It's why I love joking around with you! You're quite easy to fool!"

Calum raised his eyebrow with a small smile. "Really, now? I'm just being serious about my job. It's what we're taught to do."

"Ahuh. You love your job, yet you wear your uniform in a very unprofessional way." He walked towards him and eyed some of the wrong and empty holes where the right buttons should go in.

Calum looked down at his loose uniform and shrugged with a smirk. "It was too tight on my body, and my chest and biceps are literally gonna wreck it, okay? So that happened."

"Pfft, I don't believe you. You're just emphasizing your well built greek god of a body!" The hazel eyed shot back in a teasing tone.

The brunette scoffed and did hand gestures, "Look who's talking! I'm unlike you who cooks food and makes the fire blaze up high to show off."

"I totally do not do that!" Ashton protested, playfully crossing his arms like a child. But of course he couldn't keep the tough act for long, he's a literal ball of sunshine even at night.

"Yes, you do! I've seen you do it an awful lot of times that it's not so amazing anymore." Calum said, but he's only joking. Ashton looks the happiest whenever he cooks food for everyone, and he thinks that the fire he's purposefully trying to blaze up every time is the same fire burning in his heart whenever he's doing his job. Which is a nice thing.