twenty two • faith

"We have lingered in the chambers of sea
By sea girls wreathed with seaweed
Til human voices wakes us
And we drown."
~

"Why is it so hot in land?"

Michael raised an eyebrow towards his whining best friend, amused at how she kept on submerging herself in the blue waters whenever the sun dries up her silky skin. They had finally reached the secret place Michael discovered before leaving the town. They transformed to humans, but unfortunately they happened to arrive when the sun is the hottest.

"Humans like the sun, you know. It's one of the sources of their energy. That just proves that you're not a human, but a potato." He joked, remembering that particular line from a radio station Calum switched into back in the day. That line made the brunette laugh, which gave him a reason to remember it. He smiled at the thought, then continued digging in the sand to try and find the clothes he buried somewhere in there.

"I'm not a potato, I'm a proud mermaid!" Natalia retorted. She waited for Michael's comeback but he was still busy digging around like a kid. "Still haven't found it yet?"

Mike huffed and wiped the beads of sweat trailing down his neck. "It's not that easy you know! I may have buried them too deep. Stop distracting me so I can find them sooner."

"Well you have to hurry up or else some human will find you stark naked digging around in the sand like a madman!" She heartily laughed as she imagined that scenario happening. She can just hide herself under the water to save herself from second hand embarrassment, but at the same time she wants to see Michael's reaction and how he'll handle the situation.

"How about you anyways? Where did you put the last clothes you wore before leaving?"

"I just left it wherever it was." She grinned at him sheepishly, playfully kicking her legs against the waves just to do something else besides watching him.

Mike started laughing at her stupidity, thinking that it was such a Natalia thing to do. She scoffed and grabbed a fistful of sand and threw it on her best friend's back. "It's not my fault! I thought I was never coming back here!"

That made him turn around with curiosity in his emerald eyes. "Why?"

Natalia pouted. "To be honest, I had this scenario in my head about what will happen after I leave you."

"And what happens in that scenario?" Mike inquired, going back to doing his deed.

"That you're going to get angry at me the moment you decide to return underwater. That you'll tell me if we ever won the fight for survival then you're going to give the throne to me because it's all I ever talk about, then you'll return to land and never come back again. I honestly thought that we're going to have a fallout and our friendship through the years will get washed away by the currents y'know?" She confessed, a solemn and distant look passing on her face.

There was also one time when she practiced keeping a neutral expression on her face just so that she can mask her emotions well. She even planned on how to deal with those situations once it arise. She's truly glad that it didn't turn out the way she thought it would though. Just the idea of losing her best friend in exchange of freedom is just ridiculous and enough to make her heart twist in the most painful way.