fourteen - promises

He gave to him his heart,
Confessed that the rumors were indeed true. He was the man and he the mermaid prince, and told him I love you.
~

"What's that, Cal?" Michael asked as his small hands pressed against the glass of a confectionery store like a curious kid discovering something for the first time. They were finally at the mall now and had been walking and looking around for something that will kill their time. They're supposed to buy Michael clothes, but the blonde had been too distracted by the different stores and bright, colorful lights currently surrounding them. He could never keep to one place, leaving a shop behind as soon as something interesting catches his attention in a different direction.

The brunette tore his gaze away from his phone upon hearing the question and followed Michael's train of sight which lead to a tall strawberry shortcake, causing a smile to form in his lips. "It's a cake, Mike. Strawberry shortcake to be precise. It's a dessert."

"Dessert," the merman said out loud, giggling at his poor pronunciation of the word. He prefer the way it sounded on Calum's. "It looks beautiful." He said, liking the way the strawberries shone against the light focused on it.

The brunette hummed affirmatively, slipping his hand to intertwine with the other's pale fingers. "You can actually eat it. It's delicious, Mikey."

"I can?!" He gasped and immediately dragged him inside the store in hopes of getting a taste of the pink confection. Calum tried looking reluctant so Natalia would stop boring holes in his head, even though deep inside he's more than willing to grant the merman's wishes.

"Welcome to Tous le Jours!" A lady in her mid twenties greeted the three with a smile. Calum politely smiled back and let the merman take the lead.

They stopped in front of a glass showing cakes in different sizes and flavours. Cakes which Calum only eats during holidays or birthdays, knowing as the food being served aboard the ship only ranges from seafood, meat to vegetables. Desserts, yes, but only from time to time. Their crew always choose to stuff themselves with kilos of salmon or tuna, huge lobsters, crabs, and the finest of wine. Looking at the sweets now kind of makes him drool.

Michael's eyes were obviously twinkling and Calum found himself chuckling as well as the lady behind the counter. Michael is so freaking adorable.

"I didn't know you have a sweet tooth." He said with a fond smile playing in his lips.

The statement seemed to have only passed from one ear to another when Michael let go of his hand to look around the store. Natalia followed her best friend to leave Calum with the counter lady, because there's no way she's going to be able to handle the awkward silence that's bound to occur if she stays with him. It's much better this way.

"Are they your friends, sir?" The lady asked in a friendly way, eyes following Natalia and Michael walking around while eyeing the other pies, muffins, and bread the shop is offering.

"Huh?" Calum snapped out of his reverie, awkwardly clearing his throat and standing straight. "What was that?"

"They your friends? Cousins? Work mates?" She smiled, nodding to their direction.

"Oh," he looked back to the two, but his eyes always focus on the mess of blonde hair hiding in the corner. He ponders for a while. They aren't acquaintances. Natalia, maybe, but that's plain rude. Michael is his friend but he wants to be something more. But he thinks maybe saying that they're all friends is the safest, easiest choice. "Friends. We're all friends."