fifteen - hard decisions

If you were a mermaid,
I'd follow you down
I wouldn't be afraid
If I had to drown.
~

"We're vicious creatures, Michael. We're never meant to associate ourselves to humans because we're not of the same kind. You're two sides of the same coin. And I know what you're doing, even though you're not aware of it. You're luring Calum, aren't you?"

What do you mean I'm luring him? I'm not doing anything Natalia!

"You're oblivious to what your inner merself is doing because you're too busy trying to forget the real you, of course. I should've known you're still doing that, Michael."

I don't understand what you're talking about! I love Calum, I won't ever do anything bad to him!

"Ah, yes, your oh so precious Calum. You're luring him to help you survive on land because you know you can't do it by yourself. There are far too many differences between the two of you, aren't there? You turn into this poor, unfortunate soul who needs help and a bit of loving then hide your inner, cruel self in your temporary human body. Remember, Michael, he is mortal. It's dangerous for a merman and a human to be together. It will cause hardships for the human and he will never get to make decisions for himself ever again. Which is exactly what's happening right now."

That's - that's not true! Calum is making decisions on his own. I'm not-

"You're neglecting life underwater and you cannot escape it forever! You have to be stronger and face your evil father because the throne is supposed to be yours. You cannot go against our kind who still believes in you, even though it's been more than a month since you've gone missing. They know that you're still alive, Michael. You can't disappoint them."

I know that... But I'm not ready. It's so hard for me. You've got to understand, Nat! It's not that easy!

"When will you ever be ready?"

Natalia's voice kept ringing inside Michael's head until he escaped her, shooting up from the bed with a heaving chest. He dreamt of his best friend! It's been a week since he last had a nightmare and never did he ever think that it will come back and haunt him again, even with Nat this time. He brought his hand to his face and found out that his cheeks were already tear-stained. He was also crying in real life.

"Are you alright, Mikey?" Calum was abruptly woken up by his sudden move, and was now hauling himself up by his elbows. He still looked sleepy. Hair sticking everywhere, eyes squinting, eyebrows raised at him. "What happened?"

"It's- it's nothing, Cal." He lied. He has so many questions swirling in his head but he didn't want to put his own burdens on the brunette's shoulders. Him staying in his house without helping is enough inconvenience as it is.

Calum was trapped under his spell, he thought. He didn't know whether Natalia was telling the truth or not, but he's determined to prove that the man isn't. The man is his own self, not a toy for him to play with and control any time of the day. He knows she's not right.

"Are you sure?" He asked, fully sitting up this time. He started leaning in closer to get a better look at Michael's face but before he even gets the chance, the merman turned his back against him and began the struggle of getting out of bed. He felt cold the moment Michael threw the comforter to the side. "Michael! Wait, where are you going?" He frowned.