Chapter Five

Emmy Rossum as Margaret Anderson  (She can wear green contacts c:)

Margaret

I was sitting peacefully on the couch, eating my Doritos, when Corny, out of nowhere, decided to snatch the bag and dump a cup of water on my head. As I sat there exasperated, he laughed at my face and ate my chips at the same time. Is that even possible? When he noticed my expression, he stopped laughing, handed me the bag of chips very carefully, then ran away. 

"Exactly," I called after him. I continued to eat my chips, only stopping when I heard a board creak behind me. "Oh c'mon Corny you're not going to-" I turned around and saw Jace, Corny's little brother, reaching for my chips. When he saw that he was busted he ran away, too. Corny peaked his head around the corner and cursed under his breath. 

I sighed before taking more chips. When I felt satisfied enough, I held the bag above my head and Corny wasted no time in taking the bag. I heard the bag get crumpled. "Meg! It's empty," he whined.

I licked the cheese off of my fingers. "That sounds like a you problem." He plopped onto the seat next to me and threw his arm around my shoulders. 

"You're killing me here, babe. You could've been nice and given me some," he whined.

I snorted. "It's too late for that!" I exclaimed. "Especially since you took them without asking. If you just asked, you would've gotten some," I said.

He groaned. "B-but I asked you before and you said, 'don't ask me for my food, bitch.'"

"You're rubbing off on me," I said with a  smirk.

"We've known each other for two weeks! How can I be rubbing off on you that quickly?!" he asked, throwing his hands up.

"Eh," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "It doesn't matter. I'll share from now on."

Corny snorted, something he was starting to do more often. "Sure you will."

"C'mon. We should get to school," I said, getting up.

"Do we have to?" he whined.

"Uh, yeah, of course," I said in a duh tone. "School is important."

"Ugh...Fine," he said before pulling himself up and off the couch.

I smoothed out my gray shirt and black jeans. "How do I look?" I asked. I grabbed a banana from the table and walked to the door.

"You look nice," he said.

"You didn't even look."

"You always look nice, so I don't have to look." He grabbed my hand and interlaced our fingers. It was something we did everyday ever since the lunch we got together. It was comfort for the both of us. That and our hands molded together perfectly.

"Ew, guys, get a room. I don't want to be the third wheel here again," Jace whined. He walked straight between us, causing our hands to fall back to our sides. Corny ruffled Jace's blonde hair before grabbing my hand again. "I just can't get a break." Jace shook his head and walked down the sidewalk ahead of us.

We walked in silence. Corny and I had gotten way closer over the last two weeks. We acted as if we were a couple, even though we weren't. We didn't realize that we were acting like one until my own mom told us we were a cute couple. When we told her that we weren't dating, she looked very disappointed, which was weird. 

When we got to school, Jace disappeared to his ground of friends and I went straight to my locker.

"So, babe, since it's September, wanna ditch?" Corny asked, leaning against the lockers next to mine with crossed arms.