Chapter III

The school bell rang signalling the end of school, I joined Cameron at the front of the school. We wandered in silence up to the bus stop at the top of the hill. The air was dense and breathing in made you feel like you where drowning. It was warm and everything from my mouth to my eyes was bone dry.

"So?" Cameron said as he kicked a white rock. "What got into you today?" He looked down at the rock he was kicking avoiding my eyes. 

"I'm not really sure. I just couldn't help it! I mean, well, I've had enough of them taking the piss out on me because they can!" I exhaled in dismay and stared straight ahead of me. Cameron finally looked up at me, shaking his hair out of his eyes like a disgruntled shaggy dog. And then just looked away awkwardly, scanning the road for the bus. We waited in silence shifting our balance every few seconds until the bus pulled up with a squeal of brakes a toxic plume of black exhaust rocketed from the back.

We paid for our bus tickets and got on the bus wobbling as the bus blasted off. I stuck the ticket into my pocket along with yesterdays ticket, and all of last weeks tickets. Like really, I may have an entire trees worth of expired tickets in my two back pockets. As I sat down, resting my head against the window the muggy air made my hair stick from a mixture of my sweat and that last person sitting there's sweat. Cameron still wasn't talking he had his eyes closed and his hood up with his broken bag rolling between his feet, so I just stared out the window my mind drifting off. The bus's bracks screeched to a jerking stop for the same red light every single day. As I looked out, I saw someone familiar I sat up strait surprised. Then I spotted a black haired man running, pushing through a crowd of people who were gathered around a disembodied figure on the ground, my heart was pumping for no reason. I could hear the pulse in my ears and my throat was bone dry. As I watched the man, I had the most random flashback to when I was 11 at Disneyland I stood up abruptly my brain was a foggy mess of confusion. Cameron grabbed my arm as I fell forwards as the bus started to jerk forwards. My mind raced as the memory suddenly flooded through my brain. A boy, and a man and a monster, "just a dream". No, a snack, my head pounded as I recalled that horrible monster that attacked at Disneyland. Its scales shone like polished pennies, "a dream has to be". It whipped its rattled tail and spat boiling poison. It had killed 3 children, "a dream", but the media blamed it on terrorism. I pulled my arm from Cameron's grasp and pressed my hands to my head as it pounded.

"Bree? Bree? Are you ok?" Cameron jumped up and pushed me back into my seat as the bus started to round the corner at a dangerous speed.

I sat up so quickly that I cracked my head against Cameron's. I needed to go I needed to find that man, I had to, now. Jumping up I yelled,

"Stop! Stop the bus!" I ran to the front of the bus as it screeched.

"Bree?!" Cameron yelled after me reaching to try and pull me back but I had too much momentum. Half stumbling half running I crashed into the dashboard of the bus right up next to the driver. I couldn't care less, I jumped off the bus and sprinted after the man I saw, my lungs were burning and my heart felt like it was on fire.

"Bree?!" Cameron screamed as he lept out of the bus after me, following he stumbled over a fallen man. He was dead, his heart ripped out. I caught sight of the dark-haired man and speed up, running faster then I have ever run in sports class.

The mysterious man looked behind him and that was the first time I saw his full face, I realized how crazy I must look chasing this guy. His eyes were sky blue; his jet black hair whipped his face as he ran. The only thing different about him was the glowing silvery blue sword he was wielding. He speeds around a corner, I followed, my shoulder hitting the side of the wall as I cut the corner short, pain exploded through my upper arm and my body shot out crazily trying to regain my balance. Cameron ran right past the alley, then stopped and looked around. He called my name his hands over his mouth yelling for me, police sirens blared as four police cars pulled up to the curb as pedestrians jumped aside with their cameras flashing. News people holding bulky cameras arrived milliseconds after the police.