11

-Your point of view-

"Hello?" I said into the phone, my smile still plastered on my face as Dan rolled over on my bed.
My smile widened when I noticed him trying to fix his messy fringe.

"Heya darling," the voice of my father shot through my body like a bullet, sending me to break down. I felt chills run down my spine and consume me as I panicked, what now?

"Dad?" I whispered, as my legs shook threatening to drop me to the ground. "Why are you-"

"Mary, Sarah, and I got in a car accident and it's bad. I need you to come to Minnesota."

"W-what? Who's Mary and Sarah?" I said into the phone with worry stitched into my voice, causing Dan to sit up.

"Um, it's my wife and stepdaughter..." My father said into the phone, and just like that, I was in tears.

"I'm on my way..." I hung up the phone and wiped my tears off my face. "I-I have to go."

Dan narrowed his eyes at me. "What?"

__________

I waved over a cab as soon as I got out of the airport. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through the multiple missed called from Amari and Dan. Sighing, I locked my phone and stuffed it back in my pocket. I walked up to the cab and got in the backseat with my small bag. I yawned, I was barely keeping my eyes open after an eight-hour flight. I gave the cab driver the directions to the hospital after my father had texted me them. The cab ride was silent and I started looking through my phone again. I listened to the voicemails from Dan and Amari when all the feelings started coming up.

"Look, I guess it's really none of my business yet, but you've got me worried. Call me back, and please be safe." Dan's voicemail said.

I tried crying as silently as possible so the cab driver wouldn't hear but the tears and sobs just kept coming. Just remembering Dan's voice made me cry even harder. My entire body shook when the cab pulled up to the hospital and I had to go in to see my father and his secret family. I guess I can't really say, secret family, since I didn't give him room to tell me. He doesn't know where I live, I changed my number. I haven't spoken to him in four years.

I wonder how he got my number this time.

I stepped out of the cab after handing the driver a wad of cash. I pulled my bag over my shoulder and started into the hospital. I was quickly greeted by the smell of chemicals and the sound of machinery making disruptive noises.

"How may I help you?" I heard a woman from behind the desk say.

"H-hi, I'm looking for Tom (y/l/n)."

"What's the relation?" She said with a smile.

"H-he's my d-dad," I tried to keep my body still. She looked down to her computer then pointed me in the direction of his room.

"He will be in room one hundred and four, and the woman he was with will be in one hundred and nine" she smiled again. I smiled back vaguely before walking down the short hall. I turned into the room marked '104' and stopped in the doorway.

In a chair next to the hospital bed was a little girl. She had light brown hair that was tossed to the side so she could rest her head on the bed in front of her.

And in the bed was my dad. Although, I didn't call him dad much. I stuck with Tom for most my life since dad seemed too personal.

I walked into the room slowly and pulled up a chair on the other side of the bed. I sat down and tried to focus my eyes on the ground but I got caught up staring at his features.