14

"Amari is here," I said to Dan and Phil and they both began to look at me.

"Already?" Phil whined, "that's too bad, I was just getting used to beating you!" Phil taunted, referring to Mario cart, that he had won every round.

"Don't feel bad, Phil cheats. Let me walk you out?" Dan smiled, causing Phil to laugh and shake his head.

"Yeah, thanks." I smiled as we got up and headed to the front door. "It was really nice to meet you, and next time I come I won't let you win!" I smiled. Phil waved as we said our goodbyes, then Dan opened the front door and we headed down the stairs.

"I had a really cool time, thanks for having me over. I think I made a good impression?"

"A wonderful one. Phil loves you, I can tell." Dan smiled then leaned down and kissed my lips shortly

"So we never really, are we.. Are we like, can we be exclusive?" I reached out, I couldn't tell on his face what he was going to say next.

"Like boyfriend and girlfriend..?" Dan said awkwardly, making me cringe. I could already tell he was going to give me a lame excuse so he could let me down easily.

"Or not.. Uh, it's up to you. It's totall-"

"Yeah," He said, almost knocking me off my feet. I stood as high as I could on my tippy toes and kissed him again. He leaned down, so it wouldn't be so hard. He pulled back, and ran his fingers over the light scratch on my cheek. It had finally started to heal and disappear, but still reminded me everyday.

I smiled big to show Dan I was okay. We stood like that for a second, before Amari's loud horn honked twice.

"I should get going," I smiled.

"I'll text you?" Dan said, he almost sounded scared of being rejected. I wish he didn't feel that way with me but I haven't been completely honest with him in the past, in the present and he has the right to be. I guess I just have the same feeling too, I'm scared he'll only see the misfortune that comes a long with me and not anything besides that.

"Yeah, of course." I reassured him. "Goodnight," I smiled once more, I've been doing a lot of that recently.

"Goodnight."

I walked out of the front doors and was suddenly hit with a cool breeze. I walked out into the parking lot and rushed to Amari's car. I opened the car door and climbed in. I sighed in relief as the car heater warmed me up.

"How was it?" Amari asked as she pulled out of the parking lot and started heading home.

"Great! His friend Phil is amazing. Never met someone quite like him." I smiled.

The drive home was short and quiet. I mean not that quiet, Amari's favorite song came on and she almost popped a lung singing as loud as she possibly could. It was quiet like I had a lot to think about and everything on the outside was a bit muffled. Once we got home, I kicked off my shoes and changed into a loose shirt and didn't even bother putting on pants. I got into bed and wrapped myself up in my blanket.

I kind of wanted to cry, I remembered something Kasey had told me and actually it is giving me more anxiety then taking it away, what an amazing therapist.

He said "I think you live your life with punching gloves on and your always ready to fight. You don't give people a chance because you live your life with the mindset of 'hurt them before they hurt me.' Isn't being that defensive lonely?"