Chapter 8: The Night Before Christmas

Chapter 8: The night before Christmas

I sat in the corner of my room wrapping presents for my cat, my dog and my mom. I had asked Haley to do the shopping for me since I was still broken. I had paid her back completely. Yes, I'm good like that.

The sounds of scratching and whining came from outside my door. Let's just say Max has a little bit of separation anxiety.

"Bark! Bark!"

"Take a chill pill Maximus!" i assumed that his full name would be Maximus so I called his that when I was upset or annoyed with him. "Done," I pushed the gifts into my closet and closed it.

I hobbled in my crutches over to the door, "You may enter!" I said while opening the door to see a very happy puppy.

He ran and jumped onto my bed. "Are you going to make room for me?" he crawled over a little and began thumping his tail onto my bed. "Yep, that's good."

"Who's a good puppy?" his tongue was now stuck halfway out of his mouth and his tail wagged back and forth. I laughed a little and stroked his fluffy head.

I sat on my bed waiting out the silence. "Huh," I could usually hear a tv going about now. I walked downstairs (more like hobbled) using my crutches. My mom wasn't anywhere to be found. "Oh well, hey max!" he came bounded down the stairs after me. "Want to go for a walk?"

His ears perked up and he gave me a wolf smile. I grabbed his leash and clipped it to his green collar that matched his hazel eyes.

I decided to leave a note just in case my mom got back. We stepped outside into the cold winter's night and began our walk.

About ten minutes into our evening stroll Max happened to see a bunny. Seeing the bunny turned into chasing the bunny which meant running away from me.

"Max! Come back here!" my shouting was useless. He had ran after the rabbit into the woods. Long-gone by now I decided to try and track him down.

I walked into the woods and thought I had seen his tail over to the left. I went in that direction.

"Fuck!" I heard a masculine voice yelp. More like an 'in-pain' yelp then an 'I'm going to rape you' yelp. I went towards where I had heard the voice.

I came to a little meadow and in the center was someone, "Hey are you o-" he faced me, "Wait, hold up. Wh- h- w- I thought- but how? You're naked!" I quickly faced away from the person I had thought I had killed. No, I knew I killed him. Multiple people told me he was dead. I saw him die. How the hell?

"You can turn back around now," he said.

"Nope nuh uh. Not going to happen. I'm dead I must be dead. Oh I know what happened! I died in the hospital or something. I'm going crazy. I should be put in a mental hospital," I rambled on and paced back in forth the best I could with the crutches.