Cal

We both sat criss cross apple sauce on the floor, controllers in hand. I chose my favorite track I almost always win on, Toad's Factory. We began playing and I swerved in front of Bowser, causing my elbow to bump into Ashton's. Tingles ran up into down my arm making me freeze. My Toad drove off course and fall into the water.

"Ahahaha! You fell!" Ashton giggled as he went from second place to first. I forced a chuckle and got back into second place.

"Dang it." I whispered as I crossed the finish line in third place.

"Dude, I finally beat you at this race yes!" Ashton shoved at my shoulder. My skin on my shoulder prickled as his hand shared contact. I forced a smile and stood up.

"Pick the next race. I gotta use the washroom ." I went up the stairs and went through the kitchen where Ann Marie was washing dishes.

"Oh, hello Calum. Everything okay?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Just going to the washroom." Ashton and I have been over to each other's houses enough time we knew where everything was.

I walked into the washroom and shut the door behind me. Turning on the water, I splashed some water on my face. What was wrong with me?

Ashton and I have been best friends for as long as I could remember. Why was I getting goosebumps? Isn't that something that happens when you're in love? I shook my head.

"Get yourself together Hood." A knock interrupted my thoughts and unlocked the door.

"Calum sweetie, you alright?" I opened the door and mustered the most convincing smile I could.

"Of course. Just tired."

"Okay, just checking up. You want an ice cream sundae?" I grinned and nodded.

"Sure, thanks Mrs. Irwin." She let me out of the washroom and I bounded down the stairs back to Ashton.

-

I finished changing and walked back into Ashton's room as he was taking his shirt off. I felt my cheeks heat up before Ashton turned around and grinned.

"What's up mate?" Ashton twirled around until he found his pajama shirt. "Ready to watch films all night?"

"Yeah, sure!" I forced another smile and went down the stairs after Ashton to the basement.

"So, what first?" Ash sat on the floor digging around in his collection.

"I dunno. Whatever I guess." Ashton pulled out a random Steven King movie. My eyes widened.

"This!" I never really liked scary movies. Tim Burton was the closest I watched to anything remotely scary.

"Uh, Ash?"

"What?"

"You know I'm not a big fan..." I cautiously said.

"Oh, duh!" Ash slapped the palm of his hand to his forehead. "Sorry, I forgot."

"Yeah. I mean we have some Tim Burton?" I shrugged.

"How about a comedy?" Ashton grinned.

"We just got The Avengers the other day! Can we watch that?!" I laughed.

"Mate, this is your house. You don't have to ask my permission." Ashton cheered and slipped into the disk while I settled on the couch facing the Telly.

Ashton plopped down next to me, and rested his head on my shoulder while letting a sigh of contentment. I smiled lightly, ignoring the pounding of my heart against my chest. I was just too tired. That's it.