Ash

The following day at school, Calum seemed a bit better, which awesome. I couldn't bear to see him stressed. I really wanted the best for him. I was sitting in study hall, writing notecards down for my project I had tomorrow. I put my pen down and decided now was a good time for a quick break, and I really did need to use the bathroom.

I walked out of the library and quickly went to the boys bathroom, I went in and heard someone crying.

".....I just don't know anymore, Michael." It was Calum. I was seriously starting to think that they were dating, which was weird because he was straight. Or at least he used to be. Very quietly I went into a stall and carefully locked it so he wouldn't know I was there.

"Michael! I....I....I can't be near him without...." A sob escaped his lips and he slammed a fist against the wall, making me jump.

"But what if it isn't? He would be mad!" He cried harder. "I hate myself." He mumbled.

I then could hear Michael yelling on the other line. "....Don't say that!"

"But I feel stupid! I feel stupid and like I'm worth-less." Calum's voice broke and my eyes watered. "I don't know what to do anymore."

After a couple of minutes, Calum responded in a shaky and low voice, "I can't."

"You realize how....fine. Michael? Thank you." I held back a sniffle, afraid he would hear it. I heard Calum ending the call and cry.

"He won't understand." He muttered and left the bathroom. Understand what? Who won't understand? Sighing, I finished my business as the bell rang and ran out of the bathroom to the library to grab my things. On the way out I ran into Calum.

"Oh, hey Cal. What's up?"

"Nothing." He looked like he wanted to say something more, but he clamped his mouth shut.

"So, are we going to your house or mine?"

"My parents are working late, again. Can you believe it? Anyway, can we do your house?"

"Yeah, sure mate." He smiled and linked his arm with mine. His old seemed to be dripping through his upset self.

"Yay!" Calum skipped down the hall, dragging me along. We got onto the bus, sitting next each other.

-

We walked down the street from our bus stop, rather closely. As we walked, I felt Calum's hand bump into mine every couple steps, and before I knew it, he tried to hold my hand, starting with the pinky. I put my hand in my sweater pocket, Calum yanked his hand to hold his back pack strap.

"What are you doing there?"

"Uh, nothing. Sorry." I frowned at my shoes. We were just mates. Couples or girl friends only held hands right? I shook my head and wrapped an arm around his shoulders.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Calum looked over at me and smiled with his lips.

"Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"I may or may not have heard you crying in the bathroom today." I decided to leave out the phone call part to see how he'd react.

"Oh, you did? It was about a teacher. I had left something at home and I was afraid he'd get mad." I giggled.

"Mate, you're fine. Just bring it tomorrow." I didn't quite buy it, but Calum seemed to be relieved and that made me feel a bit better.

As we walked through the door of my house, Lauren and Harry attacked Calum with hugs. "Calum!!!!"

"Hi guys!" Calum returned the enthusiasm. I grinned, feeling my whole body warm. Calum was too adorable.

"Hello there, Calum." My mum greeted with a smile.

"Hi." He smiled.

"Dinner will be a while so, you can do whatever if you're homework is done." Luckily we finished our homework before hand. I lead Calum to the basement to watch movies.

"Can we watch Nanny McPhee?" Calum asked, somewhat sleepily as he curled up on the couch.

"Oh course!" I said excitedly. I set up the movie and got onto the couch. Calum squirmed his way up so his head was lying in my lap. He wrapped an arm around my waist and before I knew it he was asleep. Smiling to myself, I started running my fingers through his soft, curly hair. With one hand combing through his hair and the other slung around his side, I eventually fell asleep too.

-

I awoke with a start and saw Calum's face squished against my shoulder. I smiled and looked at him. He looked so peaceful while sleeping, what was bothering him? He squirmed slightly and wrapped an arm around my torso, squeezing.

Calum had always been a cuddly guy and I found it rather cute. He sighed contently and snuggled his cheek into my shoulder. I could feel my heart speeding up and I didn't know why. Calum always did this when we cuddled. I sat there and noticed that the television was turned off. Weren't we watching Nanny McPhee?

"Calum." I whispered, using my shoulder to nudge him.

"Five more minutes." He groaned, making butterflies flutter in my stomach. I couldn't count on one hand how many times we slept over each other's houses, why is this any different.

"Calum, get up."

"Whyyyyyy?" He whined sleepily.

"Please?" Calum groaned again and sat up.

"What time is it?" He mumbled as he rubbed at his eyes.

"Five o'clock. Might as well get ready for school."

"But we don't have to go to school for another two hours." He complained.

"But if we get ready then we can just hang out." I suggested.

"Okay." Stood up and he made grabby hands for me to pick him up. We both walked up the stairs and into the kitchen

I turned on a light and saw all of the dishes were cleaned. I went into the cupboard and found some cereal and set it on the counter beside Calum who was beginning to drift off again. I smiled and ruffled his hair as I walked over to the fridge to get some milk.

Setting up the bowls, I poured cereal in both of them and then the milk. I put everything away and got some spoons.

"Hey Calum, I made cereal." I stormed at his hair, trying to wake him.

"What?"

"Cereal." He sat up straighter and grabbed at the cereal. As he ate his breakfast, I sat next to him and looked at him. He looked so cozy and at ease when he was sleepy. I just wished he would tell me what was bothering him.