Chapter Seven

Retard and Grandma
~

   I knew it was zombies. Gazing at my watch it was close to seven and the sun was most likely low enough for the runners to be out. Shit! Shit! Shit!
I don't know why I shot him. This was my fought.
"It's because you shot me that their outside this pawn shop right now," Steven said as if I didn't know that already. As if he took pleasure in making me see this was all on me.
I really wanted to use the Katana on him and he noticed that.
"What-I'm just say, you-''
"Shut. Up." He was really close to finding out personally how many zombies lurked out there. I had to think. "Christian watch them."
"Where you going?" he asked wryly.
"I need to make sure the back doors secure." I pointed at Steven. "Watch him."
Christian nodded as Steven smirked.
I pulled out the tactical knife I found holding it firmly in my grip. I walked toward the back room quickly scanning the area. My personal upgrade of night vision kicked in as I moved in stealth motion to the back door where we originally came through. I didn't think zombies knew how to open doors but I didn't want to find out. I moved swiftly across the dark room grabbing a flat screen TV and placing it over the door. If anything came through we would know.
I was about to head back to the front when something caught my eye. There was a silver case that was high on one of the shelves and I immediately rushed to it. It resembled a case they I saw countless times in spy movies.
"What's that?" Christy asked as I came back, holding the case.
"We're about to find out."
I pulled the case out into a little light, and pulled both latches up. When I opened it my eyes widen with excitement. It was a crossbow.
"No way," Christy screeched.
"What's going on back there?" Christian shouted.
I responded by taking the crossbow and its arrows out, walking back to the front. When we came into view, Christian and Steven eyes widen.
"That's some crossbow," Steven pointed out. "No how to use it?"
I nodded. "Just a little. No expert though. Not even close."
Screaming tore our ears back to the outside world. Did zombies scream?
I heard it again this time with everyone hearing the same thing. That was a very much alive scream of a woman.
"O God. Help me," the woman seemed to be running as she cried out.
I rushed over to the window. I couldn't see anything and moved to the glass door. The glass was highly tinted and it was dark outside but with my highly enhanced vision I could see clearer. I noticed a woman running in bidirectional angles, slamming against a jeep. Her hands moved about blindly as she was lucky enough to have the door open, climbing inside.
"You see anything?" Christian asked.
I nodded, facing back. I sighed, shaking my head as I closed my eyes. Tris...your no hero. "Fuck."
"What are you thinking?"
"You're a crazy bitch if you try and save her," Steven stated.
"Thanks for your input." I noticed Christian's horrid expression. "I have to do this. She's alone. There was a moment you thought you would be alone."
Christian eyes found mines and then turned away. "Be careful."
For me; being careful had its own category. I mean, I wasn't the average woman and with the way things are changing inside me; not the average human.
I was about to head toward the back door when I stopped. "Christy..."
She looked up at me.
"I'm going to need you to watch the back door. You lock it the moment I leave and when I knock three times, shouting your name, you open that door."
Christy nodded, gulping as she did so.
"Don't have my ass screaming your name twenty times before you can open that door." I wasn't getting my ass bitten anymore if I could help it and definitely not for some dumb mistake in trusting a teenage girl to do a simple job. I'd seen the countless movies when a girl would hear or see something scary and just freeze up. If I got bitten because of her I considered the many ways I would reflect my anger off of her.
I pulled out my newly sidekick friend, Mrs. Katana as I focused on one thing. Saving the screaming lady who would get us all killed outside. Truth to why I was saving her; because I was no hero.
I had no time for her cries letting all those zombie fucks know she was there, bringing them much closer to us. I wanted to sail me and my brothers ass straight out of this pond shop by morning. Oh, and Christy of course.
Far as our two new friends Steven and cousin Finley, they could go on their blissful way in opposite direction. I wasn't too keen on the idea of having cousin Finley have an episode or whatever mentally retarded moment in time of panic. That was the last thing I needed.
No offense, but I saw 'Of Mice and Men' and that one Billy Bob Thornton movie where in both cases, the slower men are the ones that doesn't have an happy ending. Could never remember that movie with Billy Bob Thornton in the country land, doing God knows what. Too many movies in my head. If I was mentally slow I would want to be like Forest Gump.
"Is there a problem?"
Christy snapped me out of my trance. Yep, I did that sometimes. Get lost in my thoughts. I nodded. "I'm superb. Lock the door and do not leave this spot, unless its an emergency and my brother needs you."
As I opened the door cautiously stepping out I heard Steven in the front chuckling. "You have a crazy ass sister. You should have said your goodbyes kid."
I wish I had the time to go back inside shooting his other thigh but I didn't. Besides, that would attract more attention that we didn't need. Christy closed the door shortly after I slid out the tight crevice she made for me. I held the katana with both hands, gripping it tight as if it was my last line to life. I may have been immune to a bite but I was sure I could still get my limbs torn off, not to mention it would hurt like the first time. It was dark. Too dark.
Thank the Lord this night vision sight was working.
I heard nothing. Not the wind blowing or a cat knocking over a trashbin. 'Get a grip Tris. You only have yourself to save.' I must think I was the real shit to be out her. The woman wasn't screaming anymore so maybe she would sleep in the car peaceful tonight. I still had to get around the corner. For all I knew they got in and was ripping through her organs like a free for all buffet.
I skid my body flat on the wall of the pawn shop, creeping slowly toward the corner. Bending my knees I dropped myself a few inched shorter, as I peeked my head out trying to get a view of the streets. I looked to my open left and then right and I sighed happy there weren't any zombie fuckers roaming or running around. To my right, I saw a car parked on the corner to the opposite side of the street and broke in a run for it. I moved with such agility that when I made it to the car I ran into it as if it was my brake. I was crouched low, gazing down as if I was searching for a motor attached to my legs.
I was now at the end of the block crouched on the back end of the car. I saw the window to the front of the pawn shop where I originally looked out trying to find the screaming woman.
Sliding around to the lateral side of the car, I stilled myself near the driver passenger end door. I wanted to have a perfect view of my scenery before I ran to this screaming woman and zombies that were chilling at hidden spots. Careful was going to be my middle name.
I leaped onto the sidewalk landing on my ass, startled by a pair of slapping dead hands hitting the glass window of the car I was kneeling beside. I took an asthmatic inhale trying not to lose my heartbeat from the scare tactic this zombie gave me. From the makeup and tattoo on this zombies face, I could still make out the idea of her being once a badass hot woman. Her skin looked molden and cyanotic. Her mouth opened and I contorted my face in absolute disgust.
Shit woman. Not kissable now.
There was strands of hair and blood in her mouth, her blueberry tongue sticking out too large for her mouth. Her eyes weren't the same as my parents. I thought of my zombie parents red bloodshot eyes and now this once hot woman's eyes, glaring at me hungrily in a egg yolk shade. Her blacken fingernails splintering easily against the window as she tried clawing through, just for me.
Like always, I was every woman's tasteful pleasure.
I scooted back to my feet in the same crouched position I was in before sexy no more scared me. "Sorry...I am going to have to decline what you have to offer." I motioned towards the front end of the car, looking around and my luck was dimming every moment I waited. The zombie that I assumed banged against the pawnshop before was still hanging near it.
Damn. I most have been holding my breath because the stench of these walkers were getting to me. I was afraid to inhale. The walker head tilted to one side gnawing at the glass bringing attention to the pawnshop. Another zombie with no arms came toward the zombie posting by the pawnshop. Their groans and crackling breathing seemed to bring on a chorus that told more zombies to join them.
"This isn't happening," I expressed to myself with enmity.
I thought for a moment trying to figure out which choice I should go for. The zombie walkers by the pawnshop or few walkers chilling still with screamer. The pawnshop. I thought of my brother in there and the fact that even if I saved this woman, we needed to run back to a secure place. Zombies surrounding the pawnshop by the end of the night wasn't sounding to appealing.
My choice was made. I took a deep breath, letting it out a few seconds later as I stood speedily moving toward the two walkers. Slowly, they tried turning to my footsteps and I moved swifter zoning in on them. Ten feet from them the one with limbs stretched its arms out toward me as I lifted the katona up, pointing the pointy end toward the direction of this zombie fucks head. I penetrated the walker with easy maneuver as it took a second dropping to its knees before collapsing down. No arms came staggering as it snapped its yellowish brown teeth at me. I did the same motion, penetrating the walker through the temple as it dropped in the same motion.
It wasn't hard putting these walkers down. I wasn't thinking in the since that they were slow and easy to kill because I was sure, if I face several panic would come. I was referring to the idea of my mind not looking at them as the humans they use to be. They were only cockroaches in my way. Now for the woman. She had been dead silent the entire time and that made be want to kiss her for shutting up toward the end. Like before, I gave the walkers their true death feeling like the hero I was going to be called by this woman at the end.
Before opening the door, I spoke randomly letting her know I was friendly. No need to fear...Tris is here. That's what I wanted to say. "I'm not a zombie." Made better sense, so I went along with that repeating myself again as I open the door.
"Mother...fucker," I screeched in the highest yelp I could achieve. A walker had been inside this car the entire time and it explained why I hadn't heard her screams no longer. I should have thought about that especially with the zombie back in the other car. The walker crawled over the now dead woman's chewed out throat; blood sliding across its body, as it grabbed onto my pants, trying to pull me toward its gaping mouth. I used my lower extremity muscles and pressed my hand against the car using it as momentum to distance myself only pulling it forward with me. I stumbled back falling to my ass for a second time as the walker fell out of the car with me.
My breathing went berserk as I frenzied from the thought of having this walker bite me. I was no longer in the joking mood and my thoughts were no longer completely my own. I felt a chill as my body went cold for a moment. The walker used its arms to pull itself more on top of me and I could feel my pants soaking. The katana I was originally holding fell a few feet from reach and I could see its mouth edging closer trying to reach my bare flesh. I went defensive trying to yank the zombie off me as I snarled out my fear and frustration. I had to switch to offense if I was to survive another night. I felt compelled to rip through flesh; anger boiling in me, as I thought of the writing pen that was in my shirt pocket. I used one arm, trying to fight the walker off as I reached in with my other, seizing onto the pen. In a swift motion, I aimed the pen to its temple, stabbing the walker through the skull. The pen was only five inches long but good enough as I forced it in deep, watching the zombies mouth lock a few times before trying to get another snap in. Dark blood oozed out of its head as I left the pen inside the walkers temple and used the palm of my hand smashing the pen completely into its skull. I knew I penetrated the brain when the walker slacked over.
I groaned, shoving the walker to the side. When I lifted forward, I got a full view of the walker and noticed the entire time, this fucker had no lower body. Blood covered my entire body. I was about to wipe my face with my forearm when I noticed more blood smeared over it.
I decided on standing up as I looked inside the car. The woman's body lay lifeless with her guts drawn out. I stared at her face wondering who she had out their wondering where she was. In a since, I was glad I came to LA. I don't think I would be able to function knowing my brother and parents were out here probably dead. Or my brother alone.
The woman's blood caught my eyes as I zoned out thinking of--whoa, Tris.
I shook my head, snapping out of whatever unnatural thoughts that was barging into my mind. There was no point to staying here. I picked the katana up from the ground licking my cracked lips.
Aww...fuck. I had blood around my lips that tasted spoiled and bitter; just as gross as two weeks old spoiled milk.
I groaned from the displeasure, shaking my head in frustration as I turned carrying on back to the pawnshop. I ran back across the street along the pawnshop, running right into a zombie as I turned the corner. I should have paused clearing the corner. I shoved the zombie away, my eyes did a two second scan of the alley where I was suppose to go through the back door noticing four other zombies.
This zombie moved different, its head jerking in the same motion my parents did, right before they striked and I knew this zombie was a runner.
Holy mother-fucking shit.
My eyes widen and my heartbeat slowed as if there was a remote control pressing everything in a slow motion. I couldn't stay and fight them off; I was no soldier or great swordsman. In a flash, I shifted ninety degrees, breaking into a full spurt and nearly as fast as I was, so did the zombie track star runners. I bolted harder and faster than I ever had cutting back toward the front of the pawnshop in a speed I did not recognize any human having. I didn't look back. I'd seen in the movies what happened when looking back. Besides, I could hear them groaning behind me for the taste of my blood. I was gaining distance as I ran a few blocks now from the pawnshop; further from my brother. I had to circle around and hope no zombies would be by that door. I had to hope Christy had not moved from the door.
I cut to the right of the next block and at the very next corner, made another left as I was only a few blocks away. I saw to my far left corner straight ahead, a walker staggering around as I came in with unnatural speed. I lifted my katana up swinging swiftly as I decapitated the walkers head. I didn't stay around watching the zombie collapse as I was only a block away. I made it to the door, slamming my body against as I screamed my name.
You better fucking open this door. I cursed in my head, thinking of what I would do if she didn't open it and I survived this night.
The door popped open as I heard the runners coming around, turning and slamming the door shut with such power, I believed no know would be able to open it again. I turned the lock collapsing my upper body against the door as I blew in and out. I closed my eyes bringing myself momentary solemn as the thoughts of that woman came back into my thoughts involuntarily. I wondered how much it took to tear through flesh like that with just fingers and teeth. I shook my head, fighting away the thoughts that were so vile I could never say or ask to someone aloud.
"Thought you were a goner."
A woman's voice that did not fit Christy's young tone spoke and I swiftly moved around, gripping my katana in my hand as I faced this stranger. She held a flashlight to in her hand low to her waist, facing upward; similar to how someone would hold it while telling a scary story by a campfire. The light shined on both our faces as I studied her. First thing I noticed was her green eyes. They were a money green, with thick dark eyelashes. Her nose was small with thin lips. She had a scar over her right eyebrow and auburn hair pulled back into a ponytail. My eyes dropped down to her figure and I had to say, she kept her self in full health with breast I could feed myself for days but small enough not to overflow the palm of my hands. She had a slender figure with curvy thighs that I would have loved to grip. But at the moment I was engulfed with rage.
Ms. Pretty thing was not going to be getting the charming me tonight. My face skewed with anger I must had borrowed from the woman in 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?' I walked passed her without speaking to her. "Christy...why weren't you by this fucking door and pleeease tell me...she was hiding somewhere and you didn't open that door for her..?"
I made it to the front of the pawnshop, finding one other person inside. It was a lady old enough to be my fucking grandma. My eyes bulked out as I sucked my breath in, grimacing.
The woman that greeted me at the door walked up with her arms folded across her chest.
Christian ran up to me but stopped his hug process noticing all the blood that covered me.
"You look a fucking mess," Steven of course had to be the one to open his mouth.
I looked around, finding some paper towels behind the glass counter as I wiped the blood off my katana and then put it down.
I was really trying to compose myself but being around new guest, bringing our total to seven people; no offense one mentally challenged and now an old grandma just decreased our chances of survival.
"Why the fuck are they in here?" I slammed my hands onto the glass counter not realizing the kind of strength I held and shattered the glass.
Christian rushed over to my side, touching my arm and I winced snarling absently at my brother like an loose rabid animal. Christian frowned, taking in my posture.
"You own this fucking pawnshop?" The woman I ignored earlier asked dryly.
"If I remember clearly...you came in uninvited yoursel--"
"Shut up Steven," my brother yelled. Steven snorted and I toned into my brothers voice. "Please...my sister is just...stressed out."
The woman grunted dryly. "We are all...stressed out."
My eyes edged up before my head could be leveled with hers. It was hard to swallow with how stiff the muscles around my neck tighten. "I don't have time...for the smart ass replies." I turned to Christy. "If you ever disobey my command again...you'll be out there with the fucking zombies." My words were low but cold and sharp enough to slice through air.
"Tris...you don't mean--"
"Wake up Christian..." I snapped my fingers in front of my brothers face. I don't know what was coming over me. I felt so monstrous and I knew I was scaring him. "Because she disobeyed my orders...fucking zombie runners nearly had me for a meal as they greeted me by that door. I promised that I would not leave you alone. And...I REFUSE...to let you turn like our parents."
Christian stood quiet as I felt everyone's eyes upon me. The woman that challenged me with her words earlier stayed quiet as well.
"If you'll excuse me...I have to go clean myself off." I knew there was a restroom toward the back and began walking pass everyone.
Before I could completely disappear off, Steven asked, "What happened to the woman you went out there to save?"
I stopped not turning back as I answered his question detached from my emotions. "A zombie got to her before I could," and walked off.