Chapter Twenty-Five

Two days passed before the walkers cleared off our block. It was like a celebration. I'd buried my parents, checking around the house one last time.
I grabbed a picture of me with my brother and our parents. I figured it would be a great way to keep hope alive and remember those we lost.
   It had also been two days of pure makeout sessions with Madison. We hadn't gone any further than that, which I was fine with. The horny part of me was there but also the patient side too. I wasn't afraid to give that part of me to her. I wouldn't say that openly but it was true. It seemed the more you cared about someone the harder it was to give yourself to them.
"Today's, the day." I walked into the living room. The girls were upstairs.
Madison knew automatically what I was talking about. The walkers and runners frequented these streets more often. It was becoming more unsafe. The longer we stayed, the harder it would be to leave.
Not to mention, with more than a week passing since last seeing my brother, I couldn't wait any longer. I also missed his girlfriend surprisingly. Felicia ran through my mind a lot.
"What's wrong?" Madison walked up to me.
"Nothing."
"I'm sorry if we're holding you back from--"
"Stop." I grabbed her hand. "You're Not stopping me from doing anything." I brushed my lips over hers, assuring her I wanted to stay.
My assurance kiss turned into a need. Madison kissed me harder, grazing her fingertips over my cheek. My skin flushed, aroused. Taking in a soft inhale, I broke our kiss getting a disappointing sigh.
I looked up the stairs in time for Brennan to stand atop. "Mom. What are we doing today?"
Madison smiled, facing me. I knew she was wondering how I always knew one of the girls were coming. We'd been teaching the girls the last few days how to protect themselves and each other. And what to do if we somehow got split up, not that I would ever let that happen. But then, there was my brother gone.
   "We're leaving. Tell the girls and get ready."
   Brennan eyes shifted from me to her mom, walking off.
   "I don't think she likes me," I said bluntly.
   Madison expression skewed in disagreement before softening. "She does. She just knows I care about you in ways that are similar to my wife. I loved her mom a lot and she's afraid I'll forget her."
   My eyes widen a bit. This was a bit new to me. I wasn't use to dating anyone with kids. Madison and I weren't even dating. Can you even date in this zombie world? Like really. I can't see myself having a nice quiet dinner. Zombies roaming around trying to eat us at the dinner table. Or long walks on the beach. More like running our ass off on the beach from zombies. There was no discussion on being together.
   What did one call this? Fearing the Dead...Together!
   I smiled sheepishly, pretending not to have a list of thoughts in my head about us.
   "You haven't spoken much about the other person with your brother and his girlfriend."
   My eyes seemed to widen further. Right. I'd been purposely neglecting that conversation. And what can I say about Felicia? She was a apocalypse hookup. That was a bit of a stretch. We were definitely not done between us.
   She pushed my buttons a lot, but I still like Felicia. She was the kind of challenge every person needed to be sane and happy in the world. Especially, in this new one.
   Facing Madison I contemplated what to tell her. If I lied, our time spent together would be through. I loved and hated these decisions. Like back in the jeep, deciding to stay one night or run for better cover. Here I was again determining the right path.
   Lying to Madison seemed so wrong. She was more than some woman to stay warm next to. I already hadn't told her about my secret transformation. But she knew I was holding something back.
   I decided to be honest. I explained to Madison how I met her getting down to the gritty part. "We hooked up."
   Madison smirked, rolling her eyes. "Of course you did."
    I wasn't sure if she was mad, or just expressing her thoughts aloud.
"You can't fault me--"
"I'm not angry, Tris." Madison scratched the side of her head, facing me again. Her stance, straighter, I knew she had more to say than she would. "We have lives from the past and who knew we'd find each other."
"'Madison..."
"I don't even know what we're doing," Madison said, voice trembling. Madison pressed the palm of her hand against her head before shaking it. "I feel scared Like God, I use to babysit you. My daughter knows I have feelings for you. She isn't ready for this."
Watching the panic out of Madison, I knew what I needed to do.
"Don't worry about it." I waved our personal connections away. "We can just forget this all. We haven't done anything." I reached for Madison's hand, squeezing it for a few seconds before shifting away. "We can blame it on the sad case of loneness."
"Tris..."
"I'm glad I found you and I don't regret the small moments we had."
"But," Madison said.
"But...my brother comes first. And your daughter comes first. And we can help each other. And if ever you want to split ways we can do that too."
   The last thing I needed to hear was Madison regret our intimacy. I couldn't handle hearing she was no longer interested.
   Standing quiet, Madison opened to speak when the girls stood atop the stairs.
   Brennon spoke. "We're ready."
   I moved up the stairs. "We'll leave in five." I went to my room needing to get away. Taking a breath, I released enough anxiety to let me face Madison again. Grabbing my bag I headed downstairs. "Everyone ready?"
"My sister doesn't want to go." Kylie pulled her sister, Katheryn close. "She's scared."
   I could understand that. The outside world was scary and intimidating.
   "I know it's no place safer than in here to you. I wish I could stay here." I thought of myself being a EMT again. Having a child as my patient and calming them down. I looked out around the house genuinely soaking it in. "I grew up in this house. My mom and dad took care of me and my little brother. Sometimes always want to leave and go out and have fun but this was once home." That was the truth. Before I came out this was one of my favorite places to be. "I know you lost your daddy. I know what that feels like. But we also know you have a uncle out there who is very concerned about you and your big sister. I promise, that I will not lose you or your sister. I will never make that mistake again."
   Unexpectedly, Katheryn leaped into my arms. I let her hung me.
   When I glance at Madison she kept her eyes locked on me with a deep thoughtful stare. I ended eye contact, standing up.
   "Are you ready now?"
   The girls nodded their heads.
   Having my brother taken, I would not risk their lives.
For the last week I'd tried to learn how to control the abilities. There wasn't a freaking manual. At least I got the strength down. Everyday for the last week I did push-ups and other exercising methods. In my own conscious mind I wasn't a good fighter but within that other part of me, somehow I had skills. There was no explanation to the ability to protect myself and others.
   I gripped the machete tight.
Facing the outside world again would be tough. There was no guarantee to where we'd end up. Only thing that mattered was staying alive, finding my brother and the girls. I felt a lot different from the last time I was here with my brother. I was different consciously and physically. I was afraid of my inner self but now I feel open and ready to except it. Because I would do anything to get my brother back.
Anything.