Chapter Thirty-Five

Felicia

"What can I do for you?" It was after six a.m. In no mood for Madison's indecisive thoughts of me, I didn't welcome her like I wanted. There was friction between us. Mostly because she lived so conservative for a lesbian.
Thinking I'd have privacy outside the shower room, I slept in the hallway across from the door.
Madison shut the door quietly behind. She nibbled on her lip and it distracted me. Madison looked so sexy when anxious. Her eyes could not land my way, looking everywhere but on me.
"Madison."
Her eyes finally met mines.
I stood. "What?"
"You didn't have to sleep out here."
I knew that's not what she originally planned to say. "Really...don't bother if you're not going to be up front."
Unsure of her motive for coming to me, I watched her for a few seconds. The thin brows curved above her eyes furrowed, long and tense. "All right."
"You lost me." I had no clue what Madison was referring to.
"You are right." It seemed as Madison spoke her eyes opened up, wide and determined. It looked as if a new world was opening up to her and she was slowly accepting it. "I'm prude to your idea of romance and relationships. I have..." her brows furrowed; voice softening... "had...maybe, poly friends. I'm simple and don't ever ask for more than I think I need. I date woman one at a time and don't venture off on multiple dates. I fall hard and waste so much time contemplating if the person I fell for is right for me." As Madison spoke, she opened up, being completely honest and outspoken. Her arms swung around on occasion adding to her open words. "People see me as an introvert. Since losing my wife...I am twice as more guarded to offer my heart out again. Let alone to two different women. Like that's not something I would do."
Normally, I would not do this but in this situation, it seemed like the perfect moment to break the rules.
I pressed my index finger against her lips. I smiled letting her know that I meant my gestation the most sincere way. Madison silenced quit, her cheeks flushed. I stepped in closer. Only one step. It was enough to create goosebumps all through my body. I didn't have to wonder if she felt the same.
There was no pressure of my finger against her lips. I arched my perfectly shaped brow by the wildness in her eyes. "You can ask me to move away. Or you can tell me to stay." I was leaving that up to her.
I saw the doubt in Madison's eyes. "Tris means a lot to me. I know I haven't given..." she shook her head, combing her fingers through her hair. "I love Tris. I won't hurt--"
"You think Tris would be hurt?" Felicia smiled, trying to be sensitive to Madison's concern. "Granted, I know how much she loves you. If I used you like some toy, she'd never forgive me. If we had sex, I don't think we'd be the same. But I can see in her eyes, she wants both of us, in a very equal connective way."
Madison shook her head, flushing when I mentioned sex. "How do you know?" She was doubting me.
I took a step back. Two steps forward and five steps back. "Look. Let's not worry about it now." I smiled. "When Tris gets back...if you want to revisit that your concerns, we will. If not..." I waved my hands out... "no pressure."
She said nothing. I would not press the matter. I jumped toward the sound of a door opening. Instinctively, I grabbed the bat on the floor, Madison pulling out her knife.
"They can open doors?" Madison whispered harsh out of fear.
My heart pounded. For a few seconds I became light-headed. There was too much adrenaline coursing through and causing my heart to race. I took a step back before gaining a strong defensive posture. The smell of death oozed into the hall as we heard the door clothes. The smell was far more worse than a woman with cats who was a hoarder for the last twenty years. Trust. I'd been in some nasty homes for work before this zombie apocalypse occurred.
The door shut lightly back. I held my back up to swing, edging close to the corner.
The figure walked into the opening as I took my first swing toward its head.

~

Tris

As if my legs gave out, I dropped low to the ground, crouching on hands and knees. "Its me." I hissed loud enough for Felicia to stop at her second attempt to swing for my head.
"Tris..." Madison stammered out. There was disbelief and excitement in her eyes. I loved that she was happy to see me.
I lifted both hands up. My eyes focused on both women, I smiled. "Is it cool for me to stand up?"
"Haha," Felicia chimed. "Perhaps, you could announce yourself next time."
It was sad that we both knew it would be a next time.
I got up, and both women almost reached in to hug me at the same time. When they saw what was around my neck they halted. I wore intestines around my neck like a necklace. I pulled them out of a very dead zombie. The smell, nauseas and the seeping of coagulated blood made it barely bearable to look at. I heaved it off of me tossing it to the floor. Carefully, trying not to get it all over me, I pulled off the sweater I wore under my clothes.
Felicia saw the excitement in Madison's eyes and offered to late her embrace me first.
This was sort of awkward. Bull Shit...very awkward. But also surreal. Two women who wanted me. Hopefully it would last.
Instead of bringing them to an uncomfortable silence, I reached up, caressing both their cheeks at the same time.
"We don't have much time. We need to get the girls."
"Wait?" I rushed pass them, following the scent of the girls to the shower room. Felicia rushed behind her, with lots to say. "You find your brother and Christy?"
I opened the door. "Yes." I moved quickly to the kids still asleep.
"Where are they and how did you get through the crowd of zombies?" Madison asked.
"I'm resourceful." I knelt down, shaking the girls lightly. "Hey girls. Wake up."
The sisters embraced me quickly, relieved to see me. Brennan stared blankly, looking pass me for her mother. "Good to see you too, kid."
"Mom." Brennan stood up walking toward her mom behind me.
That didn't take her long.
"Why do we have to leave?" She whined.
I waited for Madison to answer her question but she said something totally different. "Don't think because life has changed you can't be punished for rude behavior. Pack your backpack and wait."
Brennan face sank turning back to where I found her sleep.
I stood, telling the sisters to do the same. I looked down at my wrist watch. "In about...three minutes, Christian and Christy will make a huge opening. We need to take it."
"What distraction?" Felicia asked.
"Get ready," I shouted. Grabbing a bag, I put it on my own back. "Here." I tossed another bag to her. Once the girls were up and alert I made everyone focus on me.
My adrenaline was going but I could feel the cold chill down my back escalate. My heart was slowing. "We can do the reunite thing after. There is a whole fucking lot of zombies and not enough gun power on our end. I need you three girls to stay close and in the middle of us."
"The Police car is right there." Madison didn't like surprises.
"Yes and the zombies are literally grouped around it. Christian is setting up a diversion. It will draw them away, and will take a while. Plus...we can't all fit in the car."
"All are stuff," Madison sneered.
"I know." I held my hands up. "There is a an ambulance unit in the garage bay. Radio's, medical supplies...things we need are inside."
"There are zombies in there. Possibly runners."
"I know." My tone came out rushed. "We are going to have to split into two cars."
Madison shook her head, moving into my arms. "Tris. This is ridiculous. We can not split up again."
I ran my fingers through her hair, eyes shifting briefly to Felicia. She seemed understanding in Madison's need for my comfort. "Hey..." I kissed her cheek. "We will only be split by separate cars. You two. And I take the girls."
Madison paled.
"What?" Brennan hissed. "Mom."
I ignored bratty girl. "Do you trust me?"
Head down face to ground, Madison sighed. She pinched the bridge of her nose. "I trust you."
Smiling relieved, I kissed her cheek as a huge bang vibrated the room.
"What was..."
I cut Felicia off. These next twenty minutes would feel like the longest minutes in our lives. I looked up at both women, my mind keeping faith we'd all come out on top. I needed to trust they'd know how to survive. I did trust that they would. In a calm voice, I said, "that's our signal."