8.

I was standing outside on the deck looking out into our backyard

I was standing outside on the deck looking out into our backyard. Today Jason's parents were coming over and I wanted to make sure everything looked nice and presentable. His parents were stuck up, rich, money obsessed people. They weren't too thrilled about us marrying but I think that was only because I'm black. Over time they grew to accept it and so they don't give me a hard time like they use too. I think before I came into the picture they hated Melanie which is great for me. So I guess as long as he wasn't marrying her than it was okay. His dad accepted me the most because he thinks I'm not going to go after Jason's money if we were to divorce . Fucked up right ? Soon as we get married there's already talks on divorce. With Melanie's money hungry ass I assume his family saw future problems with her later down the road. But I wasn't interested in the money. I was young at the time I married him so I was just happy to love someone and call them mine.

I had the grass watered extra this week for these people so it could appear more green, the pool guy had just left after cleaning out the pool and the Gardner was still currently working. I had a chef prepare our lunch for us so that was in the makings. The only thing that we were waiting for was his parents to show. Jason was in his office working until they arrived. I saw that the backyard looked presentable so I made my way back into the house. I walked up to my bedroom and started looking myself in the mirror. I had someone come out and put hair extensions in my hair earlier to change up my look . I was feeling self conscious already and his parents weren't even here. I just wanted to look good enough where they wouldn't criticize me. "Cassie I really am dreading this brunch ." I groaned into the phone. I decided to FaceTime Cassie because she always gave me a pep talk to make me feel better. "Look try to stay positive . It's just brunch. All you have to do is sit there and look pretty . If she gets disrespectful put her in her place." Cassie said. I watched someone curl her hair and spray something on it. "Are you at a photo shoot ?" I asked now taking notice that she was wearing a robe and her face was amazingly beat with makeup. "I'm actually sitting here with Tosh. He's going to take a few snaps of me in my new collection. Tosh say hi." Cassie said handing the phone over. Toshs face became apparent in the camera. "Hello beautiful. How are you?" He asked smiling brightly . "I'm good." I smiled a little. "No she's not Tosh ! She's over there freaking out ." Cassie tattled. "Why, what's wrong?" Tosh asked looking concern. "Nothing . Just getting ready to meet up with the in-laws." I sighed. "Wait, you guys been married for awhile. Doesn't his parents like you ? Or at least accept you by now?" He asked confused. "It's a long story Tosh." I shook my head. "Nyla ! Come down they're here!" I heard Jason yell. "I gotta go guys. Wish me luck." I said before hanging up. I smoothed my outfit before walking down the steps. Jason was at the bottom of the stairs watching me.

"Is everything ready?" Jason asked once I was right in front of him. "Yes. I took care of everything so it should be perfect ." I smiled. We walked over to where the door that lead outback was and I saw his parents sitting at the table. When we approached the table they both stood up to greet us. "Hey son. How are you ?" His father Ritchard smiled pulling Jason into a hug. "I'm fine dad how are you?" Jason hugged back . "Jason sweetheart , you look more and more handsome every time I see you." His mother Clair smiled as she gave Jason a hug . Ritchard looked at me and pulled me into a friendly hug."Nyla you still look beautiful ." I smiled at his compliment. "Thank you so much. How are you?" I asked looking up at the handsome older man. "I'm great as always." He nodded before sitting. "Hell Nyla. It's good to see you." Clair smiled as she sat down. Jason and I took our seats across from the older couple. A server came over and sat glasses of water down. "Would anyone care for some wine ?" The server asked. "Yes please." Clair said holding up her wine glass to be filled. "Me as well." I smiled holding up mine as well. "Nyla darling don't you think you should pass on the wine ?" Clair asked me raising her brow. Here we go . I held in my eye roll . "I don't think one glass of wine would hurt ." I replied innocently. "Non-sense. No wine for her this even thank you." Ritchard demanded to the waiter. "But my boy and I will take a whisky if you have it." He dismissed the server with his hand while keep his eyes on me. That's where Jason gets his demanding side from. I look at Jason who was looking else where. I knew he could careless if had the wine or not . "You are suppose to be giving me a grandson soon." Ritchard said still eyeing me . "Yes Nyla. It's been 5 years so far and your not pregnant. Why is that ?" Clair asked me while taking a sip of her wine.