Side story 2: The path of villainy

Hiccup's POV

(5 years before the events in Phantasm)

The warm sunlight hit my face and I grumbled while pulling the blanket closer. It was another five minutes of trying to get back to sleep, and not succeeding that I lazily made my way out of bed. I look at the digital clock on the nightstand to see that is was already 8 o'clock.

After taking a bath and trying to tame the auburn mop on my head with little to no success I head down to the kitchen. I see dad already seated at the table munching on a piece of toast while happily reading the newspaper.

"Morning. What's got you in such a good mood this morning?" I ask. "You're normally grouchy until after your second cup of coffee."

"Morning son. Gobber showed me the plans for the Dragons Edge Tower's security system last night." Stoick tells me. "I must say it was impressive."

I give dad a weak smile. There was no way I was going to tell him that it was my design that I had asked Gobber to show him. The last time I tried I was shot down without him even glancing at it.

I look at Skullcrusher, dad's bonded dragon, who had just entered the huge kitchen as I was buttering my piece of toast. Dad must have seen me look at his dragon because he said to me "Don't worry Hiccup I'm sure you'll find your bonded dragon in no time, and then you can follow your old man's footsteps."

"Dad you know that some people don't meet their dragons until they are way older." I tell him. "I just don't think you should get your hopes up about me going to the hero academy."

"I might not even want to go to the academy." I mumble.

"Nonsense Hiccup. Yer a Haddock, you'll get your special bonded dragon in no time, and then you'll be a defender of this city just like I was."

"Haven't you ever thought that I might want to do something else with my life." I grounded out, annoyed that dad never listened.

"Hiccup we will not be having this discussion again." Dad said with exasperation. "I don't want to hear about your inventions. They cause nothing but chaos."

I groan in frustration. "You never listen to me. It's always what you want!! Can't my opinion matter!! Can't I get some respect around here!!" I yell while grabbing a few pieces of toast.

"Hiccup where are ye going!!" Dad yelled back.

"For a walk!" I respond and slam the kitchen door.

I take a walk to the local park while angrily munching on the pieces of toast. It was the same discussion I had with dad and other family members.

Before I knew it I had walked into a deeper part of the park. It was mostly silent except for the voices in the distance shouting. A bush rustled nearby and I let out a scream as a jet black dragon jumped out. His teeth were bared, and his eyes were slits.

I slowly back away not trying to make any threatening moves. "Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you." I tell the dragon trying to calm him down.