12 - Hidden Eyes

I stare at the sane man who held my all respect from the very first time my eyes landed on his. Now, I felt the need to slaughter the bond of trust I built with him. Or maybe it's just one sided.

Maybe he didn't trust me.

"I'm so sorry, Alice." He apologizes to me with a hint of seriousness in his voice. "You saw a horrid sight, didn't you?"

I just let out a simple nod which suddenly turned his face filled with sorrow. Like he wanted to beg for forgiveness to the point of sacrificing himself for me. Pure feelings.

"I'm sincerely sorry. For now, I'll let you ask me any question you like regarding about him. Please." He gives me the permission to talk casually in front of him. He's really kind-hearted but...

I don't think I'm going to put my guard down around him.

"Who is he? Why does he eat people? Why did you choose a man like him to be your trump? Didn't you train him--"

"I said, you may ask anything, but I'll answer them one by one." He cuts me off rather rudely, making me annoyed. This isn't something I should be calm about.

"He's, like I said, our 'Alice'. He is..." He tries to find the right words as I patiently wait. "Special."

Special?

"He gains strength from other human's strength. Though, he gains them in the worst type of way..." He trails off, ashamed of himself.

"So, we especially made a street full of artificial humans. Sadly, he isn't satisfied. We warn about the people who is near the man's place. But, I know we imprisoned him..." He continues with shame.

"He ate the bars." I made a sarcastic laugh, trying to lighten the mood. He was seriously stressed right now, but I made him smile forcefully.

At least I knew he'd smile for such a joke.

"Just like you, he has something he wants. But I guess it isn't nearly as harmless as yours." He smiles sadly at me, holding my hand tight. His feeling of worry comes back to him. Even though I was an enemy to his trump, I feel like I'm his child.

A precious child.

"Thank you."

He looks at me questioningly, wondering why I was thanking him.

"No. Thank you." He smiled at me, squeezing warmth into my insides. He was like a father, kinder than the Queen of Hearts or more correctly, her aunt.

"But, can I ask you a question?" He politely wishes for permission as he puts both of his hands on top of mine. It was seriously comforting, reminding me deeply of Jason.

"Yes?," I simply replied.

"Do you miss your dad? Or... Did you come here for revenge?"

I looked at him, like there was something seriously wrong with his mind. Revenge? I'm sure Dad came here for a reason. He's also the type of person who dies happily if he did his best. I just give back a smile.

"I'm just wishing to fulfill one's request. Just that request."

"What request might it be?" He asks once more. I didn't mind him crossing the lines, but this one's different.

"It's confidential."

He just lets out a smirk and a sturdy laugh. It sounded really not like him, so I laughed along. "I'm sorry."

"Anytime, your Majesty. I'll gladly take any question." I bow playfully as he kisses my hand.

"It's my pleasure, princess."

As soon as I leave the room, I really can't let my guard down. There was something dark deep inside his eyes that was hidden, supposed to be locked away forever.

Behind that deep smile is something I can't ignore.

A maid passed by as I requested a fine bow and arrow. She asked me why, but I didn't mind to answer.

Let's use my teleportation skills into something fun. A smirk runs to my lips, enjoying the kingdom.

Isn't it full of surprises?