22 - Instant Possession

When I was a kid, I really love finishing puzzles which is considered something astonishing for a child living on Earth for 5 simple years. Kyla, my sister, told me that I saw solving puzzles differently rather than the other kids. She said, "All the other kids go rough and play with mud. You, on the other hand, thinks that simple pieces of cardboard with curvy edges is interesting." She told me my reply which was, "I want to see the end." 

Well, I grew up to hate puzzles, specifically mazes like these, on where you risk your life for the goal. I took in a sigh and ran forward. I have the ideas that I will let myself take the losing edge but, my father died in this game. Many people died due to the ways of the unmistakably Hearts Kingdom. It was hard deciding, but I chose to hear the people who has my blood, flowing also in their bodies. 

Bushes continued to move, trying to stop me from accomplishing. It's like I am a beginner as of now and I keep on battling 'Level 1' opponents. I know they are underestimating me, but I inherit some power in this land. Then, a thought hit me hard. What if other players have powers too?

Going back, I don't know the person who is fighting for the Hearts Kingdom. I would be troubled if it is Philip, because he is an incredible and sharp swordsman. Every attack and turn he creates is like a graceful and swift move of a flying swan. Also, if it was Nikka, she would hesitate to attack me and I have all the right to say that this battle will never end.

"Players!" A familiar voice rings through my ears as I approach to a larger space. The paths that I was running through was rather narrow, easy for the bushes to grab a hold of me and snap me into pieces. I scanned the new place, just to see some treasure chest.

"I forgot to tell some things!" he cleared his throat as we hear rumbling pieces of paper. He has a script, huh? "The map consists of four brilliant rest stops."

"There are two stops who could bring you all the luck and fortune in this game; and one player has approached it right now," I hear the crowd cheer and laugh. I feel all their eyes on me.

"However, there are two stops which can make you literally stop in this game. Did you get it?!" said he, feeling a smile creep from his face. Everyone snickered rather loudly, annoying the hell out of me. "Of course you all do. Anyways, now, run. It's getting rather exciting."

The mic stopped and I instantly moved. I ran towards the eye candy of a treasure chest and had second thoughts. But, I can protect myself well here, without a doubt. 

Before opening it, I heard a small shriek from a little girl in my six o'clock, making me immediately turn. I couldn't believe my eyes.

It was Jason. 

My eyes trailed over his hand, clenched around the small palms of a nearly 14-year-old girl, dressed in emerald clothes for battle. I blinked my eyes over and over to avoid this watering. It was Jason. I scanned through his eyes, saying the exact same thing. I tried walking over, but something took over me.

"Nu-uh! No lovers are allowed in this maze!" the voice echoed through my ears and it pierced. Hard. 

I stared down, seeing some vines with thorns crawling through my body. It was sickening. It released some sapphire liquid and it is painful. I screamed, falling on the floor due to my weakened legs.

"Angela!" Jason shouts as he ran to me. He held my shoulders tight, shaking me roughly. The little girl rushed to his side and said, "She is not her anymore." She started sobbing as she pulls Jason's shirt, yet he shows no flinch to her attempts.

Yes. I feel like I fell from some deep abyss I have not known, as I caged myself, not wanting to go outside. Yet, it also felt like something inside me was released. It made me cry, not because I do not know what it is.

It is because I know I can hurt the one I love and people whom I want to save.

Silly thing. You can never save anyone from this game. 

Something whispered through the metal gates of my dark cage. I saw the maze, as if it was simply a television from home. I saw myself aiming one of my special arrows on the little girl who took some steps back beforehand. She stared to me with such fear and anguish but Jason interrupted, "Eara!" I felt my grasp of the arrow easily loosened, shooting the arrow straight to the 'Eara' girl. Just in time, Jason jumped in and left a grave wound in his shoulder. 

What was I doing?

I raised myself from the cage, suddenly feeling the chains wrapped tight on my wrists and ankles. Shattered breaths came out of my mouth along with the beautiful warmth of my tears. The voice who I feared whispered once more to me as I see her face. 

She was me.

Let me borrow this body of yours, and I will give you the upper hand. 

"No," I let out with shivers sounding through my voice. She was atrocious looking; scorching red eyes which held the crown of the Queen of Hearts, bloody clothing as she held a weapon in the one hand, and a head of a human on the other. She scoffed and held my face in his bloody and wounded palms.

I am your inner conscience. Don't keep on denying it. You do know... 

I kept on shaking my head, feeling a bit dozy about the atmosphere. I wanted to cry. More and more. It was too hard to believe that I was enjoying every minute of this life-or-death game which involves innocent people whom I don't want to lay a hand on. Or perhaps, I really do enjoy it?

...that you love the color red before anything else? 

Black was all I saw after everything that happened.