4 - Mine Only Mine

I felt nauseous, all of a sudden. I was in my room, somewhere in this big, bloody red palace. There was too much information to handle.

***

After a sip of coffee, she said, "I would be likely your aunt. Kyla, has she gone home yet?"

I shook my head, "No. She hadn't."

"May I ask for how long she was gone?", Margaret asks with such concern.

"For two months. She went in search for Mitty, our cat. She's our only family, so she didn't want to lose her. She associated with the police, just to find a kitten."

Her face got a little softer. "That really sounds like my sister. May you please allow me to explain?"

"U-Uh. Yes, you may.", I stuttered.

I was nervous, not prepared to hear these.

"Gabriel also fell into the hole because he found Chester. This world has broken pieces, and one by one, they shall be found. Therefore, Chester knows that you are Angela because Gabriel would have told stories about you to Chester."

I nodded, taking a sip. Now, 'Chester' problem out, 'Kyla' problem in.

"Can I ask about my sister, Kyla?"

"It seems you are an only child. Kyla loved you, to the point she'll let you forget about her."

I got dizzy. "Then, who is the person who died in front of me when I was 3?"

"That was your aunt. Kyla and my sister. Paula."

I got dizzier. "Why would Kyla, I mean mom, won't tell me she's my real mom?"

"She doesn't want you to be Alice, like Gabriel."

"What do you mean?", I got attentive, wanting to know what happened to my dad.

She sighed, and hesitated.

"Being Alice isn't easy."

I tilted my head, searching for answers.

"'Once you're in, you can't get out.' That's a place called Wonderland. 'Alice' is a stranger who went in Wonderland. But, did you know that she got out?", she looked at me.

I nodded, "At the end, after defeating some dragon."

"Yes. Jabberwocky, to be exact." She cleared her throat, as she continued. "Gabriel wasn't able to defeat it, therefore..."

I swallowed, "He didn't get out of this world, and died?"

She nodded back. "That's the reason why Kyla was gone. She wouldn't believe that she lost her husband."

I shrugged, "That doesn't make sense. Why did Kyla pretend to be my sister? Why did she lie to me?"

"I think she wants to protect you, or to be hers."

Hers? "Protect?"

"You might fall, and stay in this Wonderland, and die, like your father, Gabriel."

"May I ask on why you said, 'hers?"

"Because you are now Alice in Wonderland, not her Angela."

"It doesn't make sense!", I shouted. It made me dizzy, I might misunderstand.

"Because she didn't want to be Alice. She was scared. Gabriel sent her a letter that he may not return, and he is stuck in this place called Wonderland. I think he wrote that before he died."

"And then?"

"Since you were just 3, you don't know much about the world yet. You were very young. Your mother gave you amnesia, making you forget all. As she restarted her life with you as her sister."