Chapter One- Nerves ✅

Chapter One

I fidgeted nervously as I stood backstage waiting for the announcement. I was backstage at the X Factor, waiting for the winner to be announced. It would be my amazing boyfriend, Jai, or the other contestant, Taylor.

Both guys had their arms over each others shoulders, waiting for what would be the happiest time time of their life, or a crushing heartbreak on live television.

The cameras turned to the contestants families and friends backstage and stage crews told us to look down and look nervous.

Once the cameras turned back around, I went and sat down because I just felt sick in the stomach.

The host began to speak.

"The winner of the X Factor Australia 2013 is..."

He slowly opened an envelope and slid out a golden piece of paper.

Everything was in slow motion as he unfolded the paper and looked at the single name written on it.

"Jai Waetford!"

Jai put his head in his hands and began to cry tears of joy. He got up and hugged the other contestant Taylor and they stood there for a minute, Taylor wishing him well and congratulating him.

Gold confetti and glitter rained down on the stage and Jai pumped his fists in the air.

Jai's family ran onstage and gave him a huge bear hug.

I went to run out on stage too, but the stage crew held me back saying that only immediate family were allowed onstage.

The host turned to Jai again and spoke.

"So Jai, is there anyone you want to thank?"

Jai looked flustered, but quickly recovered so he could speak.

"Um, I'd like to thank my mentor, Ronan Keating, and my family and friends for their support and hope they've given me throughout the show, and most of all, I'd like to thank my beautiful girlfriend Gem for her support, love and courage she has given me."

He beckoned me onstage and I ran out to him, grabbing him into a big hug. We stood there for a minute just hugging.

Once we both let go, the host spoke again.

"Give it up for Jai Waetford singing Justin Biebers' As Long As You Love Me!"

Jai's family moved offstage, making me realise that I needed to move too. Just as I turned around, Jai grabbed my hand and sat me down on a stool next to him.

And then he sang.

'As long you love me, we could be starving, we could be homeless, we could be broke.

As long as you love me, I'll be your platinum, I'll be your silver, I'll be your gold.'

I was completely mesmerised by his words as he sang, and I could tell the crowd was too as they were dead silent.

Throughout the whole song, Jai held my hand and we both never took our eyes off each other unless we had to blink.

As soon as Jai finished the song, the crowd went crazy.

Jai slowly began to lean in to me and I did the same. It was like slow motion. We both closed our eyes and softly pressed our lips together. Our mouths moved in sync and then we both had to break apart for breath. we just sat there, our foreheads pressed together and it was like we were still connected.

That was it, our first kiss.

The crowd, cameras or crew didn't matter, because in that moment, it was just Jai and I connecting in the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced.