Chapter Fourteen- Miracles

"Nine days?!" I exclaim.

"Yeah, it was pretty scary. If you had been asleep for a couple more days, we might've had to turn off your life support." Jai says.

"Oh." Is all I can say.

"Yes, and it was a miracle that you did wake up at all. A person with injuries as severe as yours should have died by now." The doctor says.
I feel confused.
"What actually happened?" I ask.

"Well, witnesses claim that there was a drunk driver in a truck who switched lanes and drove in the wrong direction. He did not have headlights on, and as it was night time, this was how you didn't see the truck coming. The driver turned on his headlights at the last minute and Jai's mother tried to swerve the car out of the way. The truck hit the left side, or passenger side of the car- where you were- and the left side took the full impact. The force of the truck and impact of the crash shattered the windscreen and entered the car. This broke your collarbone, left leg, five ribs and caused one of your lungs to be punctured. These are bad injuries individually, but when they happen to you all at the same time, well, you shouldn't have been able to survive." The doctor says.

I just sit there, speechless.
No wonder I was in pain.

"It's time for lights out. I will check up on you again tomorrow, Gem. Goodnight." Said the doctor.

I lay back in my bed and feel Jai's hand squeeze mine.
"How has it been?" I ask.
"Stressful, hard, sad, scary." He tells me.
"I'm so sorry. This was all my fault, I shou-"
"No. No, Gem it wasn't your fault. Accidents happen. This was just a bad accident."
"Ok." I say, giving up.

"Right. Now get comfy and try to fall asleep. I'll sing you a song." He tells me.

"You don't have to sing if you don't want to." I say.

"I want to. I have every night that you've been asleep, and I've been singing the same song." He says.

"What's the song?" I ask curiously.

"Listen and you'll see!" He says.

So I do.
And he sings.
"So baby, please don't leave me now, don't leave me now.
Don't let me go, don't let me go, don't let me go. Don't let me go.
Cause I'm falling in love with you, and I just can't help myself, cause I'm falling in love with you.
And I just can't help myself.
Don't let me go."

As soon as he sings the last notes, I'm asleep.