Chapter 9

Chapter 9

*February*

       I've always hated Valenting's Day. Even when I had a boyfriend, it was nothing special. My first boyfriend, I had in high school and he wasn't really the romantic type, and he didn't even want to hang out that day. Instead, he spent the day playing video games and didn't even invite me over. I wasn't a big gamer, but I did enjoy playing video games.

       My second boyfriend was the jackass I never wanted to speak to again. Ian. On the first and only Valentin's Day we were dating, he insisted that we make love. Too bad I was on my period and he got mad at me because of it. He didn't talk to me for three days.

       I should have broken up with him then and there.

       This Valentine's Day, I was going to spend alone after I was done teaching at school. I would probably order in some pizza or even got to a small cafe and think about my lonely life.

       All because Ian didn't know how to keep his pants on.

       After school was over and I was packing up my stuff to head on home, there was a small knock on the classroom door before Tony walked in. "Hey," he said.

       "Bye."

       "And I can see you still don't like me," he said. "I was just wondering what you were doing today."

       "Why?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. "Are you planning on asking me out? I'll save you the time. No."

       Tony sighed. "I wasn't planning on asking you out. Well, unless you want me to." I glared at him. "I'm kidding."

       "So why are you wondering what I'm doing?" I asked.

       "Well....I don't know about you, but I'd rather not spend today alone," he said. "It is my sister's birthday today, but she and her boyfriend said they need time alone because they have been going through some rough patches and she's extremely exhausted. Anyway, I'll be spending the day alone and I kind of figured you are...."

       "That's rude of you," I said. "Are you assuming that I don't have a boyfriend?"

       "Do you?" Tony asked.

       "Well, no, but that's besides the point," I said. "It's rude to just assume that someone is single."

       "Charlie," Tony said. "I didn't mean to be rude, I swear. I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out with me tonight."

       "As....a date?" I asked.

       "No, I already said I'm not asking you out," Tony said. "Think of it as two friends hanging out. Or co-workers, because I doubt you would consider me a friend."

       "Are you saying that you consider me as a friend?" I asked.

       "Do you like making things more difficult?" Tony asked. "Hanging out tonight? Yes or no?"

       "Depends," I said. "We have to order in pizza, and you have to pay."

       "Don't I always?" Tony asked.

       "Yes," I said. "To both questions. I guess we can hang out tonight. My apartment, though. Yours probably has to be put under quarantine."

       "Every time I try being nice...." Tony muttered. "Okay, your apartment. What time?"

       "Five, I guess," I said.

       "Okay, I'll see you then," Tony said, giving me a small smile before walking out of my classroom.