Free

I woke up the next morning to the smell of waffles. I stretched and got out of bed. I looked in the mirror and the bruises on my arm had gotten a bit worse. I sighed and looked through my bag for a long sleeved shirt. I got my Nirvana jumper out and put it on, and it covered up some of the bruises. I fixed my shorts and went to the kitchen.

I was greeted by Chica and I pet her. She then walked back over to her bed, and I went to sit at the bar in front of the sink. "Good morning."

Mark jumped. "God, damn it!"

I laughed and he stuck his tongue out at me. "So what exactly are you making?" I tried to look at what he was making, but couldn't really see.

"Chocolate chip waffles, bacon, and eggs." He turned toward me and lifted the skillet with bacon in it. "I just finished, so you're lucky. If you didn't get down here in time, I probably would have ate it all." He laughed and I shook my head at him.

"That's fine, but the big question is, are we still going on that date?" I looked at him and he blushed. He fixed me a plate and set it down in front of me.

"If you're up to it. I don't want you to strain yourself." He fixed himself a plate and sat down next to me. "Especially with your bruises."

I gave him a questioning look. "You think that's gonna stop me?" He nudged his arm. "I'm stronger than I look, you know?"

He smiled and we finished eating. He cleaned the plates, and then looked at me with a questioning look. "Well?"

I looked up. "Well what?"

He pointed to the stairs, and started smiling. "You going to go get dressed?"

I started laughing and got out of the chair. "Yeah, but you need to get dressed to."

"Maybe I want to go in my pajamas. No one can tell me otherwise. I am a grown man after all." He gave me a serious look then burst into a fit of laughter. "I'll get dressed after I finish cleaning up."

I nodded and headed to the bedroom. I looked in my bag and got out some jeans and socks. I thought about my leg for a second. "Maybe it's better to wear shorts." I traded the jeans for another pair of shorts, and put them on along with my socks. I heard Mark come up the stairs and close his door.

I grabbed my shoes and sat down on the bed. I laid down for a few seconds, and stretched to try and get some soreness out of my body. I sat back up and put my shoes on. I looked in the mirror. I brushed my fingers through my hair, and put it up in a messy bun. I looked closer at my face and saw a tiny bruise. I sighed, and went out of the bedroom. I went into the bathroom to change my bandages. The blood had stopped, and it was just really badly bruised.

I cleaned the wound with warm water and soap. After I finished I dried it off, and wrapped it. I did the same to my arm, and checked them again to make sure they were secure. After that, I went downstairs and waited for Mark.

I sat down on the couch where Chica was. She laid her head in my lap and I started to pet her. I rested my head on the arm of the couch, and started to think. Maybe mom already put out a search party for me. Her being as protective as she is of me, it's almost scary. I really didn't get it. I won't understand until I have kids of my own. At least that's what she told me. I sighed and closed my eyes.

I felt a hand touch my face, and I jumped up. I opened my eyes and saw Mark looking up at me. I yawned and rubbed my eyes. "You ready to go, sleepy head?" He smiled, standing up in the process. I stretched my arms over my head and nodded. "Alright then. Come on." He grabbed my hand and practically dragged me out the door. I saw a car out front that was already running. We got in and headed to the pier.