Sleep

Marks P.O.V.

I woke up the next morning to find that Violina wasn't next to me. I sat up, stretching, and looked out the window. I saw her sitting next to the pool, and she kept making shapes with the water. I ran my fingers through my hair, thinking. I wonder why she's out there for?

I headed downstairs to see why she was outside. I walked out next to her and sat down. "Why are you out here so early?" I heard her sniffle, and looked at her carefully. Something wasn't right.

She opened her mouth to say something, but closed it. She started to shake, not in a cold way, but in a scared way. I rested my hand on her back, making her calm down some. "My mom called me. It was an unknown number, and I thought nothing of it. She told me that she is coming to get me." She started crying, and my heart sank.

I moved her into my lap, and hugged her. I wished that this was just all a bad dream, but I knew that it wasn't. I buried my face into her neck, and pulled her closer to my body. I remembered something that I had told her. Something that I promised.

"I promised that I wouldn't let her take you back." I pulled her back, and looked in her eyes. "I promised that. I am not going to break it." I sighed. "I will try everything I can to keep you here with me." I moved my hands to hold her face. Tears were still in her eyes, and I wiped them away with my thumbs. She started laughing, and reached up to hold my hands.

"Thank you, but my mom isn't easily negotiated." She moved my hands away from her face. "Plus, it would be a miracle if she let me stay here." She tried to get up, but fell backwards into the pool.

I jumped in to get her, and the water was freezing cold. No shit Mark. It fucking winter. I grabbed Vi, and once I touched her, I felt warm. I looked at her, and she looked confused, too. "Well that's pretty helpful. That hasn't happened before?" She shook her head no. We got out of the pool, and we stayed warm until we let go of each other. We rushed inside, and upstairs.

I peeled the wet clothes from my body and got some new ones. I heard the shower turn on, and decided to go fix some breakfast. I went downstairs to see what I had in the kitchen. Pancakes are quick and easy, so I'll fix those.

I got a bowl, two plates, a skillet, and a spoon. I made the batter and made two pancakes at a time until I got eight. I put four on each plate and butter them, setting the maple syrup on the counter. I sighed, and leaned against the wall. I need to try and get her mom to see that she is happy here. I snickered. "How in the hell would you do that, Mark?" Would it even come close to maybe changing her mind?

I thought for a moment. Even if I can't convince her mom, I should a least make this day the best that I can. She deserves it. I heard footsteps come down the stairs, and smiled. "I made some breakfast." I handed her a plate and the syrup. She poured it on her stack while I got two forks. I handed one to her, and poured the syrup on my pancakes.

We ate in silence, and after we finished I cleaned the dishes. I leaned on the counter, and thought about what we could do. "Do you know when your mom is going to be here?"

I looked at Vi, and saw she was playing with a flame. She sighed, and put the fire out. "She said tomorrow afternoon. At least that's what she said. Might be sooner than that, but she usually comes right when she says she will." Chica came up beside her, nuzzling her leg. Vi smiled, and pet her.

Tomorrow afternoon gives us some time to do something. What can we do is the question. I remembered her saying how she loved the stars when we met. We can go star gazing tonight, but where? One of the National Parks could work, or somewhere in the mountains. Just have to wait for the sun to start setting to leave.