Gold Dust

We got to the house and Mark went into the kitchen to make something for us to eat. I sat down on the couch and turned on the television. I kept flipping through the channels until something caught my eye. It was the news, but it was talking about a suspected kidnapping and murder.

"We ask you to please keep your eyes open, and to report any sightings of this young woman." They showed a picture of me, and my heart skipped. I couldn't hear anything, and my eye sight started going blurry. I turned the TV off and stood up. My breath hitched and I tried to move, but my legs wouldn't cooperate with me.

I wanted to scream, but why should I? I don't have the right. I knew this would happen. I should have called her. I got control over my body, and I bolted out the front door. I didn't know where I was going, but I didn't care at that moment. I just needed to get away. I heard Mark calling me from behind. I slowed down until I could stop.

"Crystal? What," Mark had caught up and was out of breath. "Why, did you run?"

I sat down on the curb. "I'm sorry." Should I tell him the truth? I caught my breath, and Mark sat next to me. I looked at the ground and held my breath. I thought for a few seconds and let it out. "Mark, can I tell you something?"

"Anything. I won't tell anyone."

I looked up at him and held my fist up with my pinkie out. "Promise you won't freak out either?"

He wrapped his pinkie around mine. "Promise."

I looked back down and took a deep breath. I told him everything. From what happened to Phil and my dad to my powers. I looked at him and he was looking at me like I was crazy. I sighed and got up. I held my hand out toward a tree and broke a branch off of it off. I brought it toward me and I held it. I looked at one end and it caught on fire. I pushed my sleeve up and reached toward the fire.

Mark jumped up. "Stop you're going to burn yourself."

"It won't burn me." I touched it and it was cool to the touch, and it latched onto my hand. I held it out toward him. "Touch it."

He had amazement on his face and also horror. He hesitated, but touched it. "Wow. It really is cold." He moved his hand away, and looked at me. "So what's really your name?"

I looked at my hand, and closed it. The fire turned into smoke that escaped between my fingers. I sighed and looked at Mark. "Violina." Mark got closer to me, and before I could say anything I was having the life squeezed out of me. "Mark what are you. . ."

"It's okay. I'm just giving you a hug. You seem like you need one, especially after everything that happened." He eased up some, and deepened the hug. My heart ached, and I moved my hands to his back. I gripped onto his shirt as my vision became blurry with tears. Mark started petting my hair and held me tighter. "It's okay. I promise you. I'm not upset with you or anything. You need to call your mom though. She's worried sick." He pushed me gently away from him, and squatted down some so he was directly looking me in the eyes. He smiled at me and wiped away the stray tears.

I sniffled and smiled back at him. "Can I use your phone or some other phone? I don't want her track down exactly where I am."

Mark got out his phone, but didn't give it to me. "They can track my phone if you use it. So lets go to the city to use one there." I nodded. "We can go first thing in the morning, but after breakfast. I'm a growing boy who needs food all the time." We shared a laugh, and started walking back to the house.