Chapter Twenty-Four

Day Twenty-Four:

Well, today is my birthday. My twentieth birthday. I never thought that I would, ever, spend a birthday in rehab. Let me tell you though, I'm glad I'm here.

See, I have this weird tradition with myself. Every year, on my birthday, I get high. It's like a little celebration to me. Now that I'm not getting high, what am I supposed to do?

Group was nice today. They celebrated my birthday with songs and a chocolate cupcake. I had a good time though. 

Later that day, Khloe came over. We sat outside in the gazebo, she even bought me a cake. How sweet? I smiled at her. She was so cute. Well, she's always cute.

Make a wish, honey.

Alright. I humored her. I blew out the candles and made a wish. Here's the catch though, what's there to wish for? I already have everything I want. 

Maybe that's it. Maybe the wish shouldn't be for me. Maybe, just maybe, I can make a wish for someone else.

So, I did.

I wished for Lola. I wished for her to get better. To live a happy life. I wished for her to be able to ride ponies, run a marathon, eat a whole cake, whatever her little heart desires. I just want her to get better.

I took a deep breath, held it for a second, and then let it go. I watched the wind dilute the flames. I watched the smoke dance in the air, until it finally evaporated.

Khloe smiled and wrapped her arms around me. Then she handed me my gift. I told her she didn't have to give me anything. I told her she is all I want for my birthday, since my parents couldn't make it. They are in Florida, visiting my father's sister, she's sick.

I unwrap the gift. It's a picture of an ultrasound. I caressed the frame with my fingers, staring at my baby. This is the best gift anyone has ever given me. As I stroked my fingers across the glass, hovering over the picture, I caught glimpse of wording on the picture. It said Jack or Jill. 

I was about to find out the sex of my baby. I can't believe it. I didn't want to look. Part of me wanted to know, but the other part of me wanted to wait. I was nervous enough to know I'm having a baby, but now I'm going to find out the gender. Are you serious? Is this really happening?

I moved my thumb. There it was, staring back at me. 

My boy.

I'm going to be a father to a boy. I'm going to have a son.

Tears filled my eyes. I couldn't believe this. I looked at Khloe. She was already in tears.  We did it. We did this. Khloe and I created a family.

A beautiful family.

I leaned into her shoulder and looked up at her.

I'm in love. I'm in love with Khloe. I'm in love with Lola. I'm in love with my son.

Fuck it.

I'm just in love.