Chapter Twenty-Two

Day Twenty-Two:

Something very interesting happened today after group. 

Brian come to visit me. At first I was pissed. How the fuck did this mother fucker get out of jail? Did he even go to jail? That's when Emily told me. His mother is a former child star actor. Couldn't be that big, I never heard of the fucking bitch. Anyway, Brian's mom paid his full bond. $500,000. CASH!

Emily told me I didn't have to meet with Brian, but if I wanted to, cops are on stand by. I told her not to even bother with the cops, just make sure I don't have a drink!

I walk into the room and sit at the opposite end of the table, facing Brian. He said hello, but I just sat there, mean mugging too. What the fuck did he want me to say? Thanks for trying to drug me there, Bry! Let's bury the hatchet and have a drink. Oops! Don't try anything! Wink. Wink.

Not a fucking chance. 

Brian said it's too hard to try to say the things he wants to say, so he wrote me a note. 

Dear Nick, 

I'm so sorry for what I did. Please, believe that. I don't want you to accept my apology, but I do want you to know that I really am sorry. I know this doesn't condone what I did, but you got it all man. You're getting clean and staying clean. A pretty girl by your side. And something I will never have, a baby on the way. See, I never mentioned this to the group before, but I'm sterile. I had an accident when I was 17 and the doctors said, if they preform surgery, I will lose my ability to produce children. Again, it doesn't mean I can do what I did, but I can't stress enough, my apologies. I'm sorry, Nick. I should have been a better friend. I should have congratulated you, but instead I envied you. I wanted to be you. I wanted the things you had. Please, if you ever have the heart to forgive me, give me a call. Again, I'm sorry. -Brian

I didn't know what to say. Maybe, he did mean it, but that doesn't matter. He tried to kill me. This man, who claims he should have been a better friend to me, is the same man who tried to kill me. Does that even make any sense? Fuck no!

Sitting the letter down on the table, I gave it a little push and slid it towards him. I pushed myself away from the table and nodded my head. I stood up and walked passed him, tapped his shoulder with my hand. I wanted to say something to him, something more than what I did, but I could only mutter out a couple words.

Good luck, Bry. 

Leaving the room, I shut the door behind me, not even looking back. I passed Emily and gave her the 'I'm okay' look. She smiled and went about her business.

Walking down the hallway, I felt like a new man. I closed that chapter of my life. I was done dwelling on what could have been. Now, I'm going to dwell on something that truly matters.

That's what is going to be.