Chapter Five

Day Five:

It's the fifth day of my rehabilitation, but I am still in the hospital. I should be going home tomorrow. Everyone from the group came to see me. That was nice. I finally got to share my news with them and introduce them to Khloe. She got along really well with them. It's nice to have friends that want to do better and better themselves.

After everyone left, I asked one of the nurses to put me in a wheelchair. I roamed around the 4th floor of the hospital and met some interesting people.

Lola is a little girl with stage four cancer. She is only 7 years old. I sat and talked to her for a little bit. Just asking questions about her disease. She has such a positive outlook on life. I don't know how she can be so happy, knowing she is dying. I mean, sure, we are all going to die at one point, but she is so young. There are going to be so many things she will miss now.

The same day, I met an old man named Nelson. He is 100 years old, today. He lost his wife 2 days ago and thinks it is his time to go. He and Eleanor, that was his wife, were married for 75 years. They were best friends. He said he can't live without her and he doesn't know how he did for two days. When the doctor came in, he asked her to pull the plug.

I know we just met, but will you please hold my hand, Nick?

I smiled and held his hand tightly. He looked at me, with a smile on his face.

You're going to make it, kid. You're going to be a wonderful father.

I started to tear up because, I didn't want him to go. However, minutes after the doctor pulled the plug, Nelson was gone.

Life is so fragile. I was stupid for doing what I did. I could have lost my life. Did I care? No. I just gave a fuck about getting high. Nothing I did concerned me, unless I was getting high. Not this time. I was saved. I was given a second chance. I will continue to fight for my life, every day if I have to.

I was put on this earth to serve a purpose. Now, I know what that purpose is; to be great.