Chapter Twelve

Day Twelve:

Mark this as another withdrawal day for me. Thankfully, it's not that bad. I don't have to be sedated this time. I'm just shaking and sweating badly. The staff at New Beginnings spoke with Dr. Bronski about maybe getting my methadone at a higher dose. I hope he does. I can't do this pain anymore. I know I say this every day, but it hurts. It hurts so bad. I never had a pain that travels to every part of my body before.

Again, staff comes in and restrains me, feeding me my pill. They lay me down in bed, making me miss, yet another, meeting. I want to go to these meetings. I need to go! The meetings are helping me.

Danny stayed in the room, with me, all day. He skipped the meeting. I really appreciate it, too. I needed someone today. Khloe has to go with her mom today, so she can't see me. We're getting an apartment for our family, when I get out of here. So, she is finding some places for me that will hire a FORMER drug addict.

Sadly, I might have to let her down a little bit. See, since I have been here at New Beginnings, I like the fact that I can help people just like me. Donna Bird is the head staff member here. I'm going to talk to her about possibly getting a job, after graduation of course.

In the beginning of my book, I said that I will probably be a nobody. I don't remember my exact words, but that's what I meant.

It has only been 11 days, but I see that I have grown. Isn't that cool? Isn't that amazing? I'm doing something.

Back in the day, I never wanted to do anything for anyone. Like we all know, all I wanted to do was get high. Now, I want to give back to the community.

"Fellow Americans. Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy.