"Always" Heart Attacks & Heartaches

Kai POV

Every memory that I've had with my father flashed through my head as I sat in the waiting room with my mother.

Every doctor or nurse that passed by gave us both anxiety as we sat there waiting for an update from my fathers surgery. My nerves was completely shot too shingles!

"Family Of Gregory White" a doctor said with blue scrubs on.

Me and mother both jumped up and ran over to him.

"Are you Estella White?" The doctor asked.

"Yes! Yes! Is my husband okay?" She asked frantically.

"He's stable. He's being moved now to the I.C.U unit. The surgery went well as expected, but Mr. White heart did stop during the procedure. No worries though, we got it back started. There had been a lot of stress on his body though, we had to put two stints in his heart. The outcome is looking very positive, he is only in I.C.U so we can monitor him to make sure the heart is responding to the stints. I know this was a lot to take in, but do you have any questions?" The doctor asked.

"How did this happen? What caused it?" My mother asked.

"Well there are numerous of things that can cause heart attacks such as poor diet, lack of sleep, living a very stressful and demanding lifestyle, and age just to name a few. So prevention I would say watch what he eats even though I think he is in incredible shape for his age. Is he under any stress daily?" The doctor informed us and asked.

"Well, we own a resturant, Greg spends most of his time there, we both do, and business has been booming lately and I guess trying to keep up with the constant changes and expansion is stressing him out, well us all out. It's his everything!" She told the doctor.

"I understand! Just easing his workload just a little will make all the difference. Well if there isn't anything else, I better be going to check on Mr.White. You both are free to go back, he's still under medicine, and he will be going in and out for the most part."
He told us.

"Thank you doctor!" My mother said, as he walked away.

"I gotta find somebody to close the restaurant!" My mother said worrying.

"Maa, don't worry about that, I'll go close it! I'll get us both something to eat, we been sitting here for hours and you need to eat, I don't need you in the hospital too." I told her.

"Thank you son! Your the best! You coming to see your father before you leave?" She asked.

"No! I don't want to see him like that mama. I can't bear it!" I said crying.

She hugged me.

"It's okay baby! I understand, you just go on, I'll sit with him! I'll tell him you was here the whole time!" She said kissing my forehead.

I grabbed my keys and walked out.

Why did this have to happen! My dad is my rock! I wouldn't be half the man I am today without him.

Usually it would be the mother who would talk to you when you get bullied or picked on at school. My mother did, but it was my Dad who made me feel better. He would say "Son, not everyone is going to like you. It's okay. The only thing that matters is if you like you. Never let anyone bring you down about how you look, how you eat, or how you act. You be you! My Son! You and your mother will always be the song the birds sings at the dusk of dawn to me! Everything about you makes me the proudest Dad in the world!"

A memory I will never forget.

I got to the restaurant, my cousin Alexus was still there cleaning.