Chapter 14

Chapter 14:

"Selfish people end up having only their self."

Thea POV

I drive over to Roy's house but his car isn't parked in the driveway. So I park and wait for him to come home.

After what seems like twenty years, his blue Kawasaki motorcycle rolls into the driveway beside my car. He parks it and storms up the porch steps, where I'm sitting. He angrily stuffs the key into the lock and grounds out, "What are you doing here?"

I take a deep breath and silently send a quick prayer to the Heavens that Roy will be reasonable and not remain angry at me for long. "I came to apologize," I say, standing up and following him into his apartment. "I feel awful for the way that we just sprung that on you like that. I'm sorry we hurt you but I'm not sorry you found out. At least I won't feel guilty when I look at you and realize that I'm holding such an important secret from you."

I realize that's the wrong thing to say when Roy spits, "Yeah, sure. Cause everything revolves around Thea Devons, right? Heaven forbid she should feel guilty? The entire world would collapse."

I swallow the huge lump in my throat and blink back the sting at the back of my eyes. Roy never speaks like this. Never. "I'm sorry, Roy," I whisper.

"Sorry?" he growls, finally turning to face me for the first time. The darkness of his hallway obscures his face and he seems slightly terrifying, even though I know that Roy would never hurt me. I hope not. "It's too late for a sorry! You've been lying to me ever since when? A year ago?"

"A few months," I whisper.

"Exactly! You've been deceiving me," he says. "How can I believe anything you say? Exactly, I can't. Don't you realize that this messes with everything I've been hoping to do?"

"You can still do whatever you planned originally. This doesn't interfere with it... does it?" I add as an afterthought. I honestly have no idea what his plans are. My voice shines with hope. Maybe there's still another chance for Roy to forgive me.

Roy shakes his head as if I'm the stupidest person on Earth. "You don't understand," he says. "I was going to tell you something but now I don't even know if I was talking to you the whole time or to Emma."

I touch his arm. "Emma has Gabriel. She would've ran from the room in fear of saying something that I wouldn't."

He doesn't respond to that. "How do I know if you're Emma or Thea?"

"You can test me on my family history," I offer.

"Emma would know that as well," he says stubbornly.

Alright, he was going to be difficult about this. I could play that game too. "I've only know Emma for a few months. There's no way she knows our family history," I say, folding my arms across my chest in my signature stubborn way.

He does the same and sneers. "Humor me."

I huff. "Fine. When Nick was sixteen, he was going through his rebellious stage and he got caught up with the wrong crowd and they took up all his time that he never came home anymore." I get a flashback now of that day. "I remember the night Gabriel disappeared too, to beat some sense into Nick. He came back with a bloody nose and a bloody little brother. After that, Nick stayed home for the most part."

Roy gives me a suspicious look but he does't say anything for a while. Finally, he breaks the silence by saying, "When you were in the kitchen and I was asking you about Emma, she came in?"

I nod. "And then she backpedaled when she saw you."

"Because I couldn't know your secret," he finishes.