Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

"My best friends are like fairytales, they've been there since once upon a time and will be there until forever after."

Emma POV

I awoke in my room, alone. My vision swam when I tried to sit up and my eyes felt super crusty. I look around my room, rubbing my eyes. How did I even get back home? My sluggish mind hurries to replay yesterday's events. Finally, my brain catches up to the moment when the world's biggest asshole, Gabriel Devon was actually nice for a tiny lapse in time and drove me home after letting me punch him up. That was such a stress reliever that after that, I pretty much have no idea what happened. I think I fell asleep in Gabriel's car. 

A knock shakes me out of my memories of yesterday. "Come in!" I call. My bedroom door opens and my grandmother, Irene, sticks in her head. "Morning Emy," she says, coming to sit down on my bed. We stare at each other in silence and I notice how drawn her eyes are and how frail she looks. I dare her with my eyes to mention something about yesterday. I mean, she must've opened the door for Gabriel and must've noticed how devastatingly hot he was. In 3... 2... 1...

"A man brought you home yesterday," Grama starts.

I sigh. He was most definitely a man. Boy would be too inadequate of a title for one as gorgeous and developed as Gabriel Devons. "Yeah Grama. A man brought me home yesterday."

"And your eyes were all red and puffy."

I know she isn't finished with her observation so I stay silent.

"What happened, Emy?" Grama's voice is so soft and concerned and I love her even more for it.

I lean forward and hug Grama tightly, trying to ignore the fact that she feels thinner than ever. Even diagnosed with lung cancer, Grama was still intuitive and active, however not as much lately. "Well," I say, leaning back. I try to answer Grama's questions as carefully as possible because if I ignore or leave out a single detail, she would latch on to the fact that I didn't completely answer her question and press me about it until no tomorrow. But I know that Grama means well and I love her. She's almost exactly like my deceased mother in that manner.

"Well?" she repeats, in a soft tone.

"Um, I got ready for my date with my friend's brother yesterday and my friend decided that she disapproved of us going out because she didn't want him to break my heart," I quickly explain. "At least that's what she claimed. I ended up at her house, talking to her brother and her other brother decided that he would get his head out of his ass and be nice to me for once. And he drove me home."

"I thought you were close with Thea. I can't believe she would hurt you like that!" Grama exclaims.

I nod and take a deep breath. Then I realize that I don't think that I ever mentioned Thea's name to my grandmother. I stare at her in surprise. "How do you know it was Thea that I was talking about just now?"

"Well, you just nodded, confirming who it was."

"But I never even told you her name before." I'm really suspicious now.

Grama's smile is sad and soft. "You didn't have to mention her name, Emy. I know her and her family. They're the reason that we moved here to begin with. Right after Zachary and Elinor-" my mom and grandpa "-died, they made me promise to bring you back here by your eighteenth birthday." She erupts into a fit of nasty sounding coughs and I swallow the feeling of helplessness.

I looked at her in true puzzlement. "What do you mean, Grama? Why my eighteenth birthday? What's going to happen then?"

She smiles mysteriously but a tinge of sadness is mixed together in her eyes. "Don't worry, Emy. You'll find out when time is right. You will learn the family secret soon enough."